Acts of Kindness

I woke up around 5:30 and ate a chocolate-flavored Powerbar. I prefer the peanut butter bars, though - they don't seem quite so much like eating a candy bar for breakfast.

After taking care of the dogs, I put a large cup of Gatorade and another cup of ice water on the porch for my drink breaks during today's long run. I ran back home for a drink every 2 1/2 miles or so, drinking water first and then Gatorade and then back and forth like I might do at a race.

Dividing my ten mile run into 4 parts made the 10 mile run seem easier to accomplish. It was so hot and humid this morning that I had to wring out my shirt and shorts before I came inside the house because I didn't want to drip on the floor.

I had planned to run at a 10 to 11 minute mile pace. My average pace was 10:05. The average pace for each mile was:

Mile 1 - 10:05
Mile 2 - 10:01
Mile 3 - 10:04
Mile 4 - 9:59
Mile 5 - 10:05
Mile 6 - 10:17
Mile 7 - 10:06
Mile 8 - 10:09
Mile 9 - 9:55
Mile 10 - 10:08

During mile 6 or 7, DH called me (Cell phones are great!) to say, "Good-bye!" He didn't see me running through our little neighborhood when he left for work and wanted to make sure I was okay. (Maybe he wanted to make sure that I hadn't fainted from heat exhaustion or been chased by a diaper-wearing, barking, snapping dog again! I'm not joking about the diaper. And I could go on with more dog stories, but...not this time.)

Right after the call, I had the beginnings of a stomach cramp. I started to worry about how bad it was going to get when...

A bicyclist rode up on the other side of the road and greeted me. Her white hair poked out from underneath her bicycle helmet.

"Good morning!" she called and smiled. "Biking is a lot easier. I admire you, though!"

What a sweet person! My stomach cramp was gone and forgotten.

The last time I saw her riding around on her blue bicycle, I had been running for miles in the heat and was towards the end of a long training run for the marathon and, as she rode by, she told me, "You look wonderful!" You know that I didn't, but she brought a smile to my face and the rest of my run was easier.

I hope I see her again - soon!

Two acts of kindness were shown towards me and it's hardly 8:30AM. If you need inspiration and ideas for showing kindness to others, visit http://www.actsofkindness.org/.

~Gotta Run Now

Comments

  1. SOOOO cool to hear about your training runs and see your mile splits! Isn't blogging fun???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having a running blog is especially good when you like to go on and on about how your run went, but you don't want to drive your family crazy with "run talk". Hmmm...I wonder if that's why DH helped me set up a running blog. Nah!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

50 Mile Race Coming Up