Freedom 5K Race Day

Happy Independence Day!

I woke up at 5AM and got ready for the 5K race. The starting area seemed pretty crowded (there were around 800 runners) and at the beginning of the race it was hard to stay at a steady pace with so many runners nearby.

I ran through the finish line and saw my time and could hardly believe it - 20 minutes and 34 seconds. I was just hoping to get better than 25:36! My speedwork had really paid off!

I know I've been working on my speed, but how could I have improved my time so much? I looked at my Garmin. Sure enough - 20 min. plus some seconds! So I really did finish in a little over 20 minutes! Good! Then I looked at my Garmin and noticed it - the number of miles I had run. My Garmin said I ran 2.63 miles and not 3.11! Now my time made more sense.

Later, I found out that the race was shortened because of high water in the area.

My race goal was to try to keep my pace at 8 min/miles and my pace turned out to be either 7:55 (I think that's gun time pace) or 7:51 min/mi according to my Garmin. I came in fourth place (out of 25) in my age group.

~Gotta Run Now

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 Mile Race Coming Up

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week