Great Saturday Group Run

I was running with the green group at 6:20AM. My plan was to run 8 miles: 2 at an easy pace, 4 at marathon pace, and 2 at an easy pace to finish up. (This is a blend of my two running group's schedules for today.)

My average pace was 9:21 and my splits were:
Mile 1 - 9:10
Mile 2 - 9:06
Mile 3 - 8:50
Mile 4 - 8:52
Mile 5 - 9:26
Mile 6 - 9:28
Mile 7 - 9:44
Mile 8- 10:12

I didn't stick to the plan, though. I started out running faster than I thought I would, but with runners around to talk with, it felt easy and I didn't want to slow down. After two miles, I broke away to run my four marathon pace miles (hoping for 8:45-8:50), but I was only able to run two miles (nearly) that fast. After running four miles, I just had to slow down.

In mile seven or eight, someone ran by me and said something nice that I kept repeating in my head, "Lookin' good. Almost there! Lookin' good! Almost there!" I tried to run as fast as she did, which helped my pace.

But here's the best part- tonight when I finally got a chance to look at my pace for this morning's run, I saw that the first two miles were pretty fast. So, instead of doing the middle miles fast, I did the first four miles at marathon pace for a 4 hour finish, which would be a great time.

Comments

  1. Awesome job on your run! I think about you all the time when I'm running...wondering if I'll make it to the start line in good enough condition to go for goal pace, which we share = )

    But really, for this marathon, I just want to DO IT. Sure, I'd like a good time but more importantly, I want to HAVE a good time. I'm not so tied in to the goal pace for this marathon for some reason.

    I'm still going to train for goal pace and see what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Pony!

    It's been fun to follow along and see how your training is going on your blog.

    Be careful on your evening runs - it's sooooo hot right now!

    OK, I'm going over to your blog now. See ya there!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt