No Music Allowed

Do you listen to music on your runs? For now, I have banned music from my long runs. When I ran a marathon last January, somewhere around mile eight or nine the battery died on my MP3 player and I wasted time fiddling with it. I wondered: is my battery dead? Did I accidently turn it off? Maybe I can get it turned back on. Did I mute it? What's wrong with this thing? How will I run the rest of the way without any music? These are not the best of thoughts when you have about eighteen miles to run.

Of course, I could carry an extra battery or put fresh batteries in for each race, but I'm going to give this experiment a chance. Besides, at some races, headphones are banned so it's a good idea to get used to running without them. So, in preparation for races, I'm going to run sans music on long runs sometimes.

Today I was out about 7AM with a water bottle because it has been really warm lately. I ran 4 miles at an average pace of 9:21. My mile splits were 9:35, 9:15, 9:21, and 9:13. I felt great until I had run 3 1/3 miles. At that point, I was running towards the bright sun and even worse - I was right in front of my house. I just felt so hot! (I feel like a big baby when I think about some of you who are running in the even warmer evening temps, though.) Of course, all that I had to do was run a 1/3 of a mile past my house and then back home, and when I realized that, I felt better. For me, it helps to break my run into smaller segments like that. That last mile ended up being my fastest mile.

I did two hours of yard work after my run. If I had a choice, I'd rather run four miles than do two hours of yard work.

~Gotta Run Now

Comments

  1. Unless used in an actual French phrase, the word 'sans' has not been italicized since 1687 in Charles Cotton's book of poems, according to the list the OED gives. It has actually become an English word, and therefore does not need to italics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll fix that italicized sans.

    Merci, mon fille intelligente!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now for the actual French grammar. Mon fille is not an actual French phrase, unless you are trying to imply that I am both a boy and a girl. Which implication would be very odd. The possessive adjective must agree with its noun in number and gender; the latter is your particular mistake. Fille, as it is the French for daughter, is a feminine noun. Thus, it must take a feminine adjective, in this case, ma. So the correct phrase would be ma fille.

    N.B.(Nota bene) All of the French which I italicized above must be italized because it is actual French and has no meaning in English.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My oops!

    Merci, ma fille!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mercy buckets, for the French lesson = ))

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt