Guest Speaker Gilbert Tuhabonye

I didn't run today, but I wanted to hear our running group seminar speaker Gilbert Tuhabonye and it was worth the drive to hear him tell his life story and to get some running advice, too. He told how God protected him during tribal fighting in Africa as a young school student and how he hopes to be in the Olympics.

Then he gave us some running tips. You really don't need to stretch before you run, but stretch alot after you run. If gels make you sick, make your own with honey. During the marathon, eat every 30 minutes or so. Keep your core strong - he does 500 sit-ups a day! Whatever your dreams - be disciplined and never give up.

While I was there, one of my ATP friends told me about another stretch I can do for my hip flexor strain. Another friend said she had the same problem one year and got a cortisone shot so that she could continue running. Hopefully, just taking off from running for a few days will take care of this strain. Oh, and I'm stretching (just finished that) and icing (right now, in fact).

But rather than focus on the fact that I can't run for awhile, I'm going to focus on what I can do. So, this afternoon, I went swimming, did some weight work, and did 50 crunches and 30 push-ups (a new high for me!).

~Gotta Run Now

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

50 Mile Race Coming Up