Tuesday, January 22, 2008

My First Television Appearance

I had one of those morning runs where the sun is peeking through the clouds, and even though there are a few gray clouds, you're happy to be running down the road. It didn't look like it was going to rain when I left home, but I wore my cap just in case and I'm glad I did because it ended up pouring. I "squish-squashed" down the road for five miles with an average pace of 10:03/mile. This was another recovery run.

Have you heard about the runner/black belt holder who chased down the thief? No, this is not the beginning of a joke. She found him stealing things in her house and she wasn't going to let him get away with that; because she knew how to defend herself and her belongings, he didn't.

In 2006, I took a self-defense class with DD just before she went off to college. There was a local television reporter who took the class with us and at the end of the class they interviewed some of us who had just taken a "self-defense test" to see if we'd learned anything and I was on the news.

I had just finished screaming my lungs out and punching and kicking three "bad guys" when I was asked what it was like to defend myself. What would you say? I wish that I could write that I said, "After being trained thoroughly in many self-defense skills, I know I can handle anyone who tries to attack me with full confidence." But instead, I said...

Whoa, are you kidding? I'm not going to embarrass myself again! And just imagine that I wasn't a sweaty mess when I was in front of the camera, too, please. I do have to tell you that fighting off three guys who are doing a good job of playing the "bad guy" part was pretty - scary. (Hint, hint!)

Anyone know where can I sign up for a karate class?!

~Gotta Run Now

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! I'll post your comment ASAP!