Impact a Hero Volunteer

I didn't run in the Impact a Hero 5k this year, but it was still so much fun. At first, I manned a volunteer sign-in table. With that finished, I made it over to the starting line just in time to see the racers in their wheelchairs, the runners and the walkers take off.

I learned a little about traffic control (it can be dangerous) and then I found the best job - I pulled chips off shoes. My husband sat beside me and we had a little chip competition going - the one with the most chips wins. We applauded and cheered for the folks who finished the race and gave a standing ovation to the heroes - the soldiers.

My favorite sights: the soldiers finishing the race; the toddler with a big pout who didn't want to run the 1K when everyone else did, but changed her mind a few minutes later; seeing a seventy-five year old finish the 5K in less than 25 minutes (I'd love to do that when I'm 75); and the little boy who ran the 1K in his cowboy boots. I sure hope that lil' cowboy is blister-free today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

50 Mile Race Coming Up