Stray Dogs & Cars, Too

I ate some pancakes for my pre-run meal around 6AM and then I waited for the rain and thunder to stop. I waited and I waited. Since I didn't get out to run until about 9:30AM, I had another snack (half of a peanut butter and banana sandwich). It rained during the whole run, but at least the thunder and lightning had stopped.

At first, I felt heavy and slow, but once I passed the .56 mile mark (I checked my Garmin), I felt pretty good. Maybe I ate too much before my run. It was 81 degrees, but the rain cooled me down and it felt easier than usual to run eight miles.

In the first mile, I saw a familiar brown dog in the middle of the street. I walked up to the house where I thought his owner lived and rang the doorbell. No answer. I called the first number on his dog tag. The numbers were tiny and this dog was squirmy. I left a message at "somebody's" number. Then I called the second number on the tag and while I was talking to the lady on the other end, she walked up to the front door and opened it. She hadn't heard the doorbell ring. She was so grateful to me for bringing her dog home that I felt pretty good after that. I think I should add that last number to my cell phone. It might save me a little trouble in the future. My husband says I should start charging for my "dog-return service"!

In the third mile of my run, I saw a car down the street coming towards me (but in their own lane) so I crossed over to the right lane to give them plenty of space on this quiet neighborhood road. Then the driver got in the wrong lane and started coming right towards me in my lane (in the wrong lane). Fi-nal-ly, they swerved into their own lane. So I'm still alive and glad about that! : )

My pace for my 8 mile run was 9:25/mile and my mile splits were:
9:41, 9:30, 9:42, 9:21, 9:25, 9:22, 9:15, and 9:06.

~Gotta Run Now

Comments

  1. Your pace is really good on these mid-length runs. I'm jealous!

    I tried the 30-second strides you wrote about the other day and loved them. You can do anything for 30 seconds! Hopefully I will gradually get faster.

    We live in a very runner- unfriendly town. There are lots of cars that don't give you room, dogs off of leashes that come tearing after you. People have honked or made gestures like we don't have any rights to be out there.
    It was really nice of you to make sure that dog was safely home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pace for the strides was great and you will get faster!

    I have to admit that returning the dog was a little selfish on my part - I didn't want to run 8 miles with him!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

50 Mile Race Coming Up