4 x 5 = A Good 6

I had a good six mile run this morning. I warmed up with a two mile run with five strides and then I took a short break to get a drink and stretch in the shade on my back porch before the hard work began.

I ran 4 x 5 minutes with 90 seconds of recovery. My pace goal was to not run slower than 8:30/mi. and my actual pace for each five minute run was 8:19, 8:23, 8:17 and 8:15/mile. You just never know how it's going to turn out, especially in this heat. I followed that up with a cooldown mile.

I got the workout idea from the Tempo Running Tips to Boost Your Speed article by John Hank at Active.com that I mentioned last Wednesday.

Pre-run: toast with honey
Post-run: chocolate milk and an orange

Comments

  1. Tina,

    Thanks for sharing this workout. I think I'll give this a try Sunday morning, and I'll let you know how it goes.

    Those are some excellent paces per mile, too. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The next step is a 20 min.tempo run, according to the article, but I might run 2 x 10 min. instead - just work up slowly to the tougher stuff!

    And thank you! : )

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

50 Mile Race Coming Up