Friday, July 10, 2009

8 Mile Run vs. Me

The heat nearly did me in today. The "feels like" temperature went from a hot 81 degrees F. to a hotter 91. Or it could have been that Gatorade Endurance I drank before I ran. Normally, I just drink water pre-run. Or it could have been that I was just plain tired. I keep waking up in the middle of the night. I know... I should just exercise more - then I'd sleep better. ; )

So now that you know my sob story... Oh wait, I'm not done. I forgot to mention how much I really wanted to stop running in the third mile, but I didn't. Didn't I just read that our bodies will acclimate after two weeks of summer running? I've been running all summer! And then it happened again in the sixth mile. Still, I didn't give in.

In the seventh mile, since I was nearly walking anyway, I caved in and walked. I shook out my arms and I wiped all of the sweat off my face (with my dripping wet shirt - yuck!). After a couple of minutes, I felt better and I finished the run.

My mile splits were - 9:59, 9:28, 9:43, 9:42, 9:35, 9:53, 10:40, 10:43/mile. and my average pace for my 8 mile run was 9:58/mile. Looks like I should have stopped at 6 miles. Oh well! I'll be back at it again tomorrow.

Pre-run: 3/4 peanut butter and honey sandwich & Gatorade Endurance
Post-run: chocolate malted milk & yogurt topped with strawberries

2 comments:

  1. Running 9 miles in 91 degree heat...last week we tried that with our running group and had to take a ten minute break for water and shade.
    Great job finishing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Meg, that makes me feel better!

    ReplyDelete

I'll post your comments asap so don't worry if yours doesn't show up right away. Thanks for keeping them family-friendly and for taking the time to comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...