Monday, July 27, 2009

Favorite Running Journal

I've used the same type of running journal three years in a row because it's just that good! First, there's a monthly page where I pencil in the workouts I want to do (lower right). Then when my workout is done, I use my four colored ink pen to write down what I did (top right). Blue is for running. Green is for other exercises. Red is for problems. Black is for anything else.

It's a 19 month planner, but I cut some pages out and make it a 12 month book, leaving a few extra pages behind to write extra information, like detailed marathon reports and how many miles I've put on my shoes. I found it with the school supplies at Walmart for just $4. The planner is made by Carolina Pad and you can find it at other stores listed on their website.

And now to today's workout... After a short abs workout, I ran eight miles. The temperature was about 80*F and I drank Gatorade every two miles. I felt a little tired in the last two miles, but I was able to keep the pace up so I wasn't too bad after all. Today's average pace was 9:30/mile.

Pre-run: English muffin and PB & J
Post-run: chocolate milk and strawberry Luna bar

6 comments:

  1. That is such a good idea to keep track of how many miles are on your shoes. I usually have no idea.

    Sounds like a great run today! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I didn't write it down, I'd have no idea either. If I start hurting somewhere and check my shoe mileage, I can see if old shoes may be the problem. Plus, it gives me an idea of when I'll need new shoes, too.

    Since I run in at least two pairs of shoes, I can't just add up my miles that I've run so I keep a running total for each pair in the front of my book.

    'Course, I still have to remember to jot the miles down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute planner, my is kind of masculine but I love yours...so helpful to look back and see how quickly you recovered, etc. Thanks for sharing.

    Also, how soon do you eat breakfast before you run? As you can see, I have nutrition on my mind these days...
    meg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meg, I usually eat breakfast about 45-60 minutes before I run.

    Yeah, I like reading through my old running journals, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been using a moleskine, but mine doesn't have the cute cover yours does. I'll have to check out this brand.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There were a lot of cover designs to choose from and it was hard to pick just one. The inside of the cover is cute, too - turquoise with big, bright circles.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I'll post your comment ASAP!