Saturday, July 11, 2009

Gulp Your H2O, It's OK

I did thirty minutes of strength training. My right knee felt stiff before I started, but fine when I finished. That was good because I wanted to go on a short run.

Today's run was so much better than yesterday. I never felt like I needed to walk like I did yesterday. I took a couple of minutes to stretch and drink in the shade after running two easy-paced miles and then I ran a couple more easy-paced miles.

I meant to pay attention to whether I gulped my water when I stopped for a drink, but I forgot. I read that gulping is better than sipping during exercise in the Eating to Fuel Exercise article by Tara Parker-Pope with Leslie Bonci. Gulping prevents cramps. I'd never thought about it before, but I'll try to pay attention next time. (July 14 Update: Okay, I gulped. Good!)

Pre-exercise: Cheerios, skim milk & a spoonful of peanut butter
Post-exercise: plain & vanilla yogurt topped with blueberries

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this information! I'm sure that many other runners, like myself, have been told otherwise --- that gulping water is bad for you, and sipping is the better way to go. Thanks for sharing the article and letting us know that gulping may be better than most think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, glad you found it interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting and for keeping it swear-free!