Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Marathon Training Plan

Since I'll be running in the Houston marathon in January, I'm looking for a training plan. I came across two marathon training plans and some training tips, too, at the Boston Marathon website. Right now, I'm mostly building up my mileage with a little speedwork, too, so that when my plan says, "Run a zillion miles at goal pace," I'll be half ready.

Today after an abs workout, I went for a run. First, I ran a two mile warm-up with six short strides towards the end. Wake up, Legs!

Then I found some fast songs on my MP3 player and sped down the street, hoping to keep the speed up for two miles. In the first mile, I had lots of energy. I was hopeful. I was running an 8:12 mile.

In the second mile, I was getting tired, but happy to be speeding down the road - more fun than an easy run. Pace for this mile: 8:02/mile.

I finished with a couple of easy miles, stopping a couple of times to chat with walkers. The next time I'm asked how long a marathon is, I might just say 26 miles. I mean, do they care about the 0.2? I think not! Most people probably just hear twenty-something and think, that's crazy!

Anyway, if I could run this fast at the half marathon in October, that would give me a finishing time around 1:45. (8:09/mi. = 1:46:41 finish) Keeping that pace for 13.1 miles, though, does sounds pretty crazy!

About the photo: That's a heron which was in my front yard yesterday (with my neighbor's horses behind it). Our house backs up to a lake so we get to see lots of water birds... and alligators sometimes, too!

9 comments:

  1. What a beautiful view you have! I'd love to see the lake!

    YOU can run a 1:45 half marathon...it's just conditioning! Keep up the great enthusiasm, you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, it's just conditioning! I've got to remember that! Thanks for the encouragement!

    I really enjoy being able to see the horses, but never having to deal with the upkeep!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't see a lot of water animals around my Las Vegas home! :-) It would be fun to see some wildlife other than lizards and pigeons though!

    I still always say the ".2" when telling people the marathon distance. For some reason, it does mean a lot... even if they don't hear anything beyond "twenty"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. But you've got Red Rock Canyon! I ran 15 miles there last November (http://gottarunnow.blogspot.com/search/label/Nevada) - such a pretty place!

    I hear you on the .2 - it's means a whole lot at the 26.0 mark of the marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great pace for the 1/2!

    I always say the .2 because I've always felt the .2 mattered after I ran it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by Tina!
    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you left a comment - it led me to your blog! I'm always on the lookout for good blogs - they inspire me. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a great view from your backyard.

    Tina, it would be awesome if you could run a half at that pace. And something tells me that you can do it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Tina, thanks for stopping by, I love "meeting" other runners via blogging.

    What a GREAT pace you have. I always find fast songs definitely help me pick up my pace.

    I think the .2 is always important to those who have run a marathon (especially when you reach mile 26!) but to non-runners probably not so much. i am always amazed how many people ask me how long a marathon is....but I guess I didn't know either until I started training for one! :)

    Love the pic, it is so serene

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting and for keeping it family friendly!