14 Mile Run

I tried to run thirteen miles last Friday, but the heat was too much for me. That's okay - today I ran fourteen miles (9:56/mi. ave. pace)!

It only got up to a feels-like temperature of 86* today which made the run easier. I changed what I ate and drank today. I drank Gatorade every two miles except at miles 4 and 8 when I had water and gels. I always had extra water with me, just in case. My pace started to slow a few times and I wondered if the heat was getting to me and if I needed to stop, but since I was able to pick up the pace again, I knew I was okay. I learned some lessons after last week's long run!

Pre-run: English muffin w/ PB & honey
Post-run: peach smoothie and an ice bath while reading an interesting essay about America, history and politics, of all things!

Comments

  1. Great job! I am so impressed by your long run pace. I am still working on sustaining sub 10 for a tempo run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, good for you! Glad to hear your run went well today. Don't know how you do it in the heat, but I suppose you're used to the temp. I still have yet to try that ice bath, but maybe I'll remember the next time I do a hot day run and I'm beet-red at the finish. Hey, I tried that pigeon stretch and couldn't do it exactly like the photo because I'm so darn inflexible. No sure why I dislike stretching so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Frosty Runner! Congrats on finishing a half marathon!

    Brenda, did you try the stretch on a lower surface? That helped me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great run! Do you run with a fuel belt?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really was a great run! I usually run with my Reebok fuel belt and drink something every two miles or so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job Tina! You must have felt wonderful finishing the mileage! Sounds like you learned from last week..ah, the lessons we learn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I mentioned my fuel belt. It's actually a Nike one. I found it at a Chelsea Premium Outlet Center for $25, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Smoothie post run!! YUM!! Good work!!

    FYI Pearl Izumi Shorts Giveaway on my Blog if you are interested :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - that is awesome!

    Thanks for the advice and encouragement about the knees - I was so encouraged to be able to run on Thursday with hardly any pain, and I've been feeling good since! 6 miles today...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rachel - 6 miles? I'm really glad to hear that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 14!!! wow - what a pace!!! you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job on making up for last week's run. I continue to be amazed at how you can run in "feels like 86"! Keep up the hard work!
    K

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous pace for a 14 mile run! Wow!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt