8 Miles w/Speed

After I ate half a PB & J sandwich and drank some Gatorade (hoping this would make my hot run easier), I ran a 1 1/2 mile warmup and did running drills.

Then came the part that I looked forward to, but was scared of, too: 4 x 1 mile w/2 min. rest. My goal was 8:10/mi. pace (1/2 marathon goal pace for a 1:45 finish, which would be a 5 minute 57 second PR). My times were: 8:25 (Just beat 8:25 next time.), 8:12 (Did I really do that?!), 8:22 (That's okay, 10 weeks 'til the 1/2 marathon.), and 8:07 (Happiness!). I reached the goal once - almost twice. : )

As I ran the last and super-extra long 1/2 mile of the last mile, I tried to pass as many landmarks as possible, rather than hope to finish ASAP, like usual. I thought, I want/need to pass that house and the next one and the next one and the flowers and the hydrant and that corner, always looking to the next place to pass.

After a walk/slow run break, it was time for 4 x 1/4 mile fast w/2 min. rest. Normally, after 4 x 1 miles, I don't do fast, but I tried - maybe not hard enough, though. Splits: 9:37, 9:16, 8:46, and 8:47. I'll work harder on those next time.

I pulled this workout from Ryan Hall's coach Terrance Mahon's half marathon training plan - a good workout to teach me to push myself when I'm tired.

During run: Gatorade
Post-run: Chocolate milk
Total miles: 8

Comments

  1. Gosh, that is amazing! Makes me so tired thinking of how hard you ran! I am so tired and actually sore from this mornings run. I don't know why, but in the weirdest spots too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kate and Wendy! I was sure happy when I had finished the 4 x 1 miles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great push and great times, that was a great idea to think of landmarks rather than miles and time.
    Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tina you are totally going to achieve your half marathon goal! Kick some booty!

    Thanks for visiting my blog!

    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's awesome! I haven't ever thought of breaking it down like that. I have my first 8 miler on Saturday...I'm trying not to freak out! I just hope I can finish it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt