Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Breezy Treadmill Run

Today I ran five miles. The end!

No, not really! There's a little more to the story. I didn't feel like exercising today. And this is my recovery week. And I felt like I should be able to do whatever I want. But I didn't want to do anything.

So I ignored my feelings and started exercising. I did five different exercises to strengthen my core. Then I kept checking the time. Has it been 15 minutes yet? Because I think that's long enough today.

Then I ran on the treadmill. Just take it one mile at a time. The fan was blowing on my face and I didn't even sweat until the second mile. And I felt better. I wanted to run.

Then I increased the speed for two miles. After a half mile of that, I increased the speed some more, but I had to slow down when I had visions of myself flying off the back of the treadmill. I finished those fast two miles with that faster speed I tried earlier. No problem this time. Happiness! (I used this Pace Conversion Chart to figure out my treadmill pace.)

I ran a cool down mile. Five miles are now done and, you know, it wasn't that bad. The fast running was my favorite part. Sometimes I really like the treadmill. : )

5 comments:

  1. So funny you posted the comment about your recovery week. For the first 2 miles of my 10 this morning, the thought I had was - why is it that the easy weeks are never easy. I was thinking that would be my blog for later today. Busy day ahead. Will see if I get to that blog???? Also, I did end up having a great run too. That's the thing - most of the time it's about getting started.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    Thanks for your sweet comment! I'm glad you found me... I look forward to reading your marathon experiences. I am training for my first one and am a little freaked out about from time to time!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ignored your feelings?? Only an athlete would think that is okay. Good job, you pressed on and finished up and felt great! I guess having a fan on your face did the trick...

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmm..."sometimes i really like the treadmill." i've never said that. i would love to get to that point, since i use it so much in the winter.

    this was a timely post for me because i am doing 4 on the treadmill today and dreading it. i'm going to turn the fan on and just take it a mile at a time. thanks for linking to the conversion chart!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right, Ginny, most of the time I've just got to get started and it will get better. Have to remember that!

    Kate, training for your first marathon is exciting! No finishing time pressure. There's only one goal - to finish!

    Yes, Meg, the fan, the towel, the ice cold water and the cookies (not really!) were all there. Nice!

    Wendy, I'm glad the chart was helpful. I hope your treadmill run turned out better than you thought it would!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting and for keeping it family-friendly!