10 More Humid Miles


This whole week has been so hot and humid. I had planned to run 10 miles with 6 fast miles (may have been too hard even in cool weather!), but when I saw that it felt like 90* at 7AM, I changed the plan: run 1 mile fast, run 0.75 mile fast, run 0.5 mile fast, and run 0.25 mile fast with slow running in between the intervals. Sounded doable even in the heat and if I felt good, I'd do the whole routine twice. (I didn't.)

After a 15 minute warm-up, I started on the fast mile, hoping for at least a 9:00/mile. Got it - 8:26! I gave all I had in the first mile, though - the rest of my timed intervals came out at 9:03, 9:05 and 8:24. I ate a gel, got a drink, and sat on a bench. I didn't really think about it - about sitting, but I was so tired - and there was that nice bench. I made myself get up and stretch. When I started running again, my legs were heavy - I sat too long.

I ran five more miles which included an unplanned run home for some cold Gatorade (it tasted so good) and back to the park to finish my run, where I used all kinds of games to keep going - try to remember words to songs, guess which landmark is 0.1 mile away, and try to keep up with other runners.

Running in the humidity has not gotten easier. It feels like it's slowly wearing me down, making me more tired as this humid week progresses.

And now that I've written that unhappy post, I have good news: it's raining and it's cool outside. So my running shoes are drenched (I left them outside to air out), but the weather is looking up!

Photo: See the rain coming down in my back yard? Wish you could feel how cool it is!

Comments

  1. Tina, I love how tough you are mentally! You keep going when it is tough and that is amazing!

    It was so humid here in June that even if I woke up at 5:00 am to run a long run, it was too humid. I am so glad that the heat and humidity is gone here, for now at least!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina, you are one well focused girl!
    Keri is right - you are tough!

    You probably would've appreciated our snow!!! yesterday! I am not appreciating it yet! :-)
    K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Keri and K! I felt anything but tough this week! I think tomorrow's run will finally be a cool one. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. How funny, hot and humid for you and cold and snowy for K in Colorado. What a wonderful world!

    You are tough...I am a humid weather wimp!
    Have a nice weekend,
    meg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang in there Tina. That training will pay off for sure. I felt your pain on Thurs. evening when we landed back in Gulfport, MS. The air was so thick, it was hard to breathe. Loved, loved, loved the dry cool air in the Utah, etc. (although our skin was already cracking before we left the dry air)
    good and bad everywhere you go I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i agree with everyone else - you are tough and dedicated! way to not let the weather get the best of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i can sympathize with you regarding humidity. it's let up here a little, but it does get old and take it's toll. hoping this week cools off a little. i can't believe your marathon is 13 days away!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt