Wednesday, November 4, 2009

9 with 5 Miles at MP

What a nice day for a run! 52* today with a clear, blue sky.

After eating a piece of toast topped with peanut butter and raisins, I went for a run. First, I ran two warm-up miles. I ran by some trees with pink clusters of leaves that look like flowers until you get up close.

Then I stretched, drank some water and ate three Clif Shot Bloks before I started my marathon paced miles. The Boston Marathon training plan I'm using for ideas suggests a lot of MP miles. (I'm in Week 10.)

My Garmin beeped at the two mile mark and I sped up. At first, I was pretty sure I was going to miss my goal of 8:47. It's hard to jump from a ten minute pace to 8:47. (But look at all of the races. You go from standing still to running fast in a few seconds!) Anyway, I ended up being surprised: 8:50.

Same pace in the next mile.

I finally felt comfortable in the third mile, like I could finish the full four MP miles I had planned to run. Pace: 8:45.

The fourth MP mile was 8:33 and made me want to run another one. This is good! Ran it in 8:35.

I stopped for a drink and ran two more miles, nice and easy.

I hope you get a chance to get and there and run, too!

9 comments:

  1. Great job!! Those MP runs are so important!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice training run. I'll be following/stalking you as you train for your Houston Marathon. I'll try to send good vibes your way so you can qualify for Boston.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun training day for you. Did you put the raisins in a happy face when you made your toast?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great run! Can't wait to hear as your plan progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Which marathon are you running for your BQ? I am running a small race in Kansas City in a few weeks trying to get to four hours. After that, I am planning on trying to qualify for Boston in 2010!

    You are so close to qualifying, I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a perfect MP training run. A good confidence builder!
    I thought you might have put those raisins in a smile face=)I am looking forward to cheering you on your journey to a BQ!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keri, I'll try to BQ at the Houston marathon in January. Hope you get that four hour finish you want in KC!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow! awesome mp run!! you beyond-nailed it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting and for keeping it family friendly!