Running With My Eyes Open

I was in my second mile of running on the trail when a runner came up beside me and said, "Awesome, isn't it?"

"What?" Did he read the back of my marathon finisher's shirt? Oh, wait! I was only wearing a plain, blue shirt. Did he think my easy pace was speedy? Nope!

"The blind runner with the running guide," he answered.

I didn't see them this time, but maybe they are the same two runners I saw a couple of weeks ago. Yes, they are very inspiring!

How'd I miss seeing this pair of runners? I was looking down. The same way I do when I run by this Sam Houston statue along the Houston marathon route around mile 10. At least, I think I pass it. I'm not sure. I look down a lot!

I looked up as much as I could for the rest of the run. (You do have to look out for a few rocks and holes.) I saw so much more that way: peoples faces - some struggling (yes! we have to work hard to get faster), some smiling : ), and even a possible hill for hillwork. And you know that's exciting!

Thanks for slowing your pace and sharing before you sped on, Stranger! You made my easy 3.8 miler much more than just another easy run.

Comments

  1. I'm the opposite. I'm always looking all over the place, trying to take it all in. Especially during races. Sounds like you had an enjoyable run, plain blue shirt runner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always good to slow to smell the roses, or SEE the "roses", in this case! So awesome about the blind runner and guide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouragement for my half marathon. The reason my time is slower then my previous half is because I am running with my double stroller and 70 lbs of kids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm mixed - some days i look down and some days i pay attention! hope you remember to look up more often and enjoy the sights :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tina I loooooove your Blog! I am a follower now! Can't wait to keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do both. I look around more on a trail when I am by myself trying to be aware of everything around me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That must be cool to be a guide for a blind person. What a different way to run.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

50 Mile Race Coming Up