Houston Marathon Tips


I've run the Houston marathon four times and while I don't feel like a professional or anything ; ), maybe these tips will be helpful.

Expo
When you go to the expo, get your packet and t-shirt before you do anything else. One year, I went late on Saturday and didn't get the right shirt size - they ran out.

Getting There on Race Morning
Last year, I got there at 6:15. I had time to use the porta-potty, drop off my bag, talk to friends and walk to the start at 6:45 for the 7AM start. Tomorrow, my husband is dropping me off and I still don't know what time I'm shooting for! Here's a link to information about the freeways that are closed. Here's the route I think I'll take this year:

From a Houston marathon email: The I-10 (Katy) Freeway, just east of the Taylor/Sawyer Exit to east of downtown, will be CLOSED from 5:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. on race morning. You may still get downtown on the the I-10 by moving to the far left lane as you pass either the Washington Avenue, TC Jester, Durham/Sheperd or Yale exit ramps. Stay in the far left lane and exit onto the Taylor/Sawyer HOV (high occupancy vehicle) lane. Single passenger vehicles ARE permitted to use the HOV on race morning. The HOV will take you into downtown to Franklin Street.

Parking
I've always parked on the south side of the GRB convention center on the west side of 59, taking 59 to the Polk exit. Last year we paid $20 and then saw a $5 parking lot across the street!


I had some extra time since I didn't go for my usual Saturday morning run so I made jumbo apple pecan muffins for breakfast. Just a little carb loading!

Comments

  1. Ooooooo, I am SO excited for you! Get some good rest tonight and RUN STRONG tomorrow! Will be egarly awaiting your news tomorrow. GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. tina,
    praying for you this morning, that you will feel great even at those challenging miles 20-26.2!!!
    cannot wait to hear your experience!!
    you are going to do AWESOME!!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

50 Mile Race Coming Up