Spring and 16 Miler

Sunday afternoon my husband and I strolled down the streets of Old Town Spring, a half hour north of Houston, where we saw art...


And walked though an Amish shop and ate raspberry peanut butter and saw a Great Dane on a store porch who posed for a picture...


And then let me pet her gentle, sweet self...


...A lovely afternoon.

Thank you for all your kind comments after I fell Saturday! : ) I followed my husband's suggestion of walking it out on Saturday ('cause all I know is RICE, but that's for runner's knee) and maybe that's why I was able to run 16 miles today. Happy dance!

In the 12th mile, a teenage boy ran up beside me and passed me just as I was whispering, "1, 2, 3, 4" along with one of my songs. I don't know, I guess that part just gets me. ; ) He made running faster look so easy. I ran faster, checked my Garmin and I was running a 6 something pace (for a second)! I gasped... And slowed way down.

After the run, I hopped into a warm bath with epsom salts. I follow Sara Hall on Twitter and got the idea from one of her tweets. Much better than an ice bath on a cold day! (Just to be safe, I iced my legs later, though.)

Today's Run: 16 miles at 8:53/mile
Goal: 12 miles at 8:47 (3:50 marathon pace) A first for me!
3 mile warm-up: 9:55, 9:42, 9:19 Gingerbread GU
Middle 12 miles: 8:46, 8:40, 8:40, 8:31 (GU), 8:42, 8:40, 8:42, 8:42 (GU), 8:33, 8:34, 8:44, 8:12
Cool-down mile: 9:36

Have a super week!

Comments

  1. Hi Tina,
    It sounds like you and your husband had a lovely time over the weekend:) Wow, awesome job on your sixteen miler...you are a speedy one:) I think I am going to have to start using the gu too. I am finding that I just need a pick me up after mile seven or eight. Glad to hear that you survived the fall and are back on track. Happy Monday Tina:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Sunday with the hubby sounded and looked wonderful - isn't nice to get out, be relaxed and just soak in the simple sights (and enjoy each other's company!). I love it! I also love the fact you SMOKED your 16 miler! WOW! Your mishap is a distant memory. Great job! Thanks for sharing the pics, too! Have a great week -
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great Sunday, I love that great dane! And looks like you are running great, right on target for your goal pace! It will be fun to follow your training to race day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, your 16-miler was soooo fast compared to mine (sigh) but that's why you're super speedy and I'm .... not!! :). I'm glad your injury wasn't too bad and didn't hinder any of your running - you nailed that long run! You're going to do so amazing in your next marathon - I feel it!! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jill, are you kidding?! You are fast! It must be that lack of sleep messing with your mind!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved that old bike in the picture you posted, I have one that I need to paint too. It looks like you had a nice weekend and nice running too! Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sunday was a great day for Old Town Spring! I live just a couple of minutes from there, but sadly don't get there very often. Great job on your run! (and I've also been doing the warm bath and epsom..it's great!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great run you had! Looks like you had a nice afternoon with your husband, too. Glad your fall didn't slow you down. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1,2,3,4 (would that happen to be from a rebecca st. james song?)

    way to go on the 16 miler. i didn't see that on sara's twitter page. i need to check that more frequently.

    16 miles. wow. i ran that far the week before my injury in training last fall and remember how i felt afterward. i hope you are recovering well and ready for this week! way to go tina!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kate, wow, you're absolutely right about the song! 1,2,3,4 - you've got to count along with her there!

    I recovered already - feel fine! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love that song (well all of her songs). i run to it a.lot.!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun weekend!

    Sounds like you had a great run, 12 miles at MP! you kick some booty Tina!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Speedy run! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great run! Sometimes I run to military cadences, and the drill sargeant yells out a phrase, which the runners repeat. A very common chants is "1, 2, 3, 4/Run a little, run a little, run me some more" So I often sing along during my long runs, and 1,2,3 4 is common.

    I am guessing, though that Rebecca St. James is not a drill instructor...

    ReplyDelete
  16. "1, 2, 3, 4/Run a little, run a little, run me some more"

    ... I like that, might try it. Thx!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

50 Mile Race Coming Up