20 Mile Run: Done!

I ran 20 miles today! When I got to the end of the 7th mile I felt like speeding up. I pulled my earbuds out from my visor headband, put them in my ears and ran all but two of miles 8-19 between 8:30-9:00/mi pace - that's 10 miles at that faster pace. 

I ran a lot of hills today. At first, I just ran with a medium effort, but by mile 8, I sped up them. It was hard, but it felt good and it made me happy to be running hard. That difficult running - that's going to make us stronger, faster.  

I had a Gu gel/Gatorade plan that I had to change along the way, taking in less than I thought I would because I felt full. (I don't take those two at the same time - I take the gels with water.)

I felt some leg achiness in mile 11. I noticed that my hands were retaining water like they have one or two times before. I shook them out as I ran and then they didn't feel so tight and puffy. And then when I slowed down in mile 20, my legs ached, but overall I felt good on this run. And to write that about a 20 miler - happiness!

In the Hubble movie I saw last Friday, an astronaut talked about how stressful it would have been to focus on the 36 screws he had to unscrew with his bulky gloves while trying to stay steady out in space. That's why he focused on only one screw at a time. Today I usually focused on just 2 miles at a time. And sometimes I had happy thoughts about the 20, as in, "Wow, I'm really going to run 20 miles today!" 

My average pace was 9:04/mi for the whole run and it took me 3 hours and 1 1/2 minutes. : )

Comments

  1. Great run! I love the Hubble analogy - so true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job! That's a long ways. What mile do you tend to need/want to have the GU?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you did it once again. The countdown has begun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome run! YAY for hitting 20 miles :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found your blog! Nice run today ...wow! I live in Kingwood, it is always nice to find other local blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa, I usu. eat a gel every 4-5 miles and drink water only, but tried one every 4 today and added Gatorade on the miles I didn't take a gel. Made me too full to keep up the gel every 4 miles - only ate 2 and 3/4 gel packets.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are awesome!!! Great job, Tina!
    Yes, hills are good. When I am going up and they are hurting me a bit, I just keep reminding myself that "hills only make me stronger, hills only make me stronger....."
    Keep up the hard work!
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  8. ahhhh that's wonderful! so glad you had HAPPY thoughts about running 20 today! you are too funny! :)
    do you sit in an ice bath after such a long run or stretch for a longer time? just wondering...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kate! I stretch as usual after all my runs, but I do take an ice bath after long runs. Lately, the water has been so cold that I've only had to take cold water baths. Brr!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent run! I'm now motivated to try and pick up my pace in for the next 20-miler on my sched.

    Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super impressive. You must be feeling so pleased! Liked the Hubble story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good job with the long run and running those middle miles at a faster pace is really great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, great run!! Thanks for the birthday wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. GREAT job, especially those speedy miles!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome run, girl!! You're going to do so well in Big Sur; those hills come at ya in the end so be wise in the beginning. It's getting so close, I getting so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt