Monday, March 15, 2010

21.2 Mile Run


Today I ran 21.2 miles - my longest training run ever! I ate 4 GU's (vanilla gingerbread, mint chocolate and two tri-berry), said hi to 6 or 7 people, saw a lady walking while reading a book and a man walking in a kilt and ballet-like shoes. I ran for 3 hours and 17 minutes (9:18/mi ave) and finished with three (supposed to be four - oh well!) 8:33/mi paced miles.

Sometimes I ran on the wooded trail beside the regular path. There were more roots to watch out for, but I liked the change. It doesn't run alongside the whole loop, though, so for most of the run I was on the 2.93 mile Memorial Park Loop, a dirt and gravel path.

Now I just need to pick up the pace, add five more miles, some really long hills and wind and a grand piano and well, that would be the Big Sur International Marathon. Only 6 more weeks!


Saturday, my husband and I drove downtown to see the fun at the Buffalo Bayou Regatta, a 15 mile kayak and canoe race. Lots of color! Perfect weather!


20 comments:

  1. Great run! I can't wait until I can SAY I ran 21 plus miles! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great pace! keep up the good runs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your timing is awesome!!! what do you mean pick up the pace?! ;)

    i'm with kelly, i can't wait for the day when i can say i ran 21 miles! way to go tina! you are so ready!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice run, and nice pace! I love GU gel, but haven't tried any of those flavors yet. Matter of fact, I didn't know they made those flavors!! 21.2...I am impressed girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wowzers, good job, especially for your first time running that far.
    E

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great training run. Bet you can't wait to hear that grand piano!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I agree, add some hills, lots of hills! Sounds like you're ready to run the race! Nice job, Tina.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great run! Your pace is amazing for that distance...way to go.

    Those cookies below from your previous post...look YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent job, girl!!! You are going to be big-time ready for that awesome race!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You wrote you need to pick up the pace? Did I read it right? My goodness, you seem to be fast enough. :) But I do agree that you cannot train for Big Sur without a grand piano. Well, running hills might help also. And yes, there is also that wind thing. You will rock.
    Vanilla gingerbread GU. Oh, that sounds too good to be true. I don't think I could stop after only four.

    ReplyDelete
  11. dang girl! you have been rockin' your long runs these past few months. very inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tina - we may have been running together on Monday. I ran 21.5 but I started at 10:30 am. My pace was 9:22, but I stopped the Garmin for my water stops so it was a little slower than that. Great finish! I tried some Accel Gel-Carbs & protein 4:1 ratio. Worked well for me. I've been worried about racing from 10:30-until 2:30 at best, but the protein seemed to help out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, what a great training run! Sounds like you enjoyed it too. You are going to do great at Big Sur!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job! I am excited to hear all about Big Sur!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, what a great training pace and strong finish! You are going to be awesome at Big Sur!

    I wish my area had more dirt/gravel trails on which to run.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have you tried Clif ShotBloks? They are a nice alternative to gels. My wife and I usually take gels and shotbloks for our long runs. Sometimes we like having something to chew instead of just the gooey gels. We're running Big Sur too and looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yeah, I like the shotbloks, too! Happy to meet someone else running Big Sur!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting and for keeping it family friendly!