Friday, March 5, 2010

Bruschetta

I like to make bruschetta - it's easy to put together, has some healthy ingredients, and tastes good, too.

Ingredients:
2-3 roma tomatoes, diced (1 ½ cups)
¼ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
8 slices ciabatta bread

Directions:
  1. Toss all of the ingredients, except the bread, in a medium bowl. Let chill an hour. I don't usually plan that far ahead, though. ; )
  2. Slice 8 pieces of bread off loaf. I freeze the rest for another meal. Optional: brush some olive oil on the bread.
  3. Place the bread on a pan and bake at 450 for 5 minutes or until the bread starts to crisp. 
  4. Top the bread with the tomato mixture.
Makes 2-4 servings.
Recipe adapted from Todd Wilbur's Top Secret Restaurant Recipes 2.

Today I ran 6 miles in the wonderful sunshine after 20 minutes of strength training. In the second mile of my run, I heard a honk and waved "Hi/Bye!" to my husband as he drove to work. : ) I didn't eat enough before I ran and was hungry in the third mile - glad to get home and eat some cottage cheese and 1/2 of a turkey sandwich. Hope you have a great weekend!

10 comments:

  1. I love Bruschetta, yummy! Glad you had a great run and have a wonderful weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks Great! I will have to try that soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, that looks so good! I am writing this down right now:) Have a great weekend Tina!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I eat just bruschetta for dinner. There's something so delicious about the garlic and tomatoes...yum! Tina, you always make me hungry, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Sometimes I eat just bruschetta for dinner."

    Me, too! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! That looks great! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmmmmmmm!!! i just copied it and hope to make it this weekend. i crave tomatoes or something "tomatoey" often.
    have a great run tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Making a Margherita type pizza right now - similar flavors - yummy! Do you mince your garlic or chop? Glad your run was good - gotta get ready for Big Sur - Lucky You! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Actually, I usually use some chopped garlic from a jar - the pieces are smaller than when I chop them myself.

    Your pizza sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely LOVE bruschetta! Can't wait to try your recipe, looks really good! thanks for sharing the info!

    ReplyDelete

I'll post your comments asap so don't worry if yours doesn't show up right away. Thanks for keeping them family-friendly and for taking the time to comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...