Monday, March 1, 2010

Running in the Rain


What a great day to run 16 miles! It rained most of the time, but running by the pine trees with all of the needles on the ground and the rain pouring down reminded me of being in the Pacific Northwest. : ) Because I was expecting it to be a hard run since it was pouring and it really wasn't much harder, it felt easy! I wore shorts, a short sleeved shirt and a light jacket and I was just right in 55*. 

It wasn't long before I didn't have to run around the puddles anymore - I just ran right through them - my feet were drenched anyway. ; )  Then a bus passed by and I was soaked by a ten foot wave. That's okay - I'm washable. It was funny. I did hillwork - the hills weren't on muddy ground so it was a good day for those. With all of the distractions - the rain, the hills - my run was over before I knew it. (16 miles at 9:36 ave. pace)


Seeing that orange rock made me happy! That might be the rock I tripped on last week. After I tripped on it, I almost blogged that I'd carry some red finger nail polish and make that rock stand out, but park workers painted the rocks that stick out on the path before I got a chance to help out. ; ) Someone's taking care of me!


I'm looking for a breakfast I can easily carry when I travel. Today I tried an Apple Cinnamon Powerbar and a banana and all was good. I liked the flavor of the bar and although the texture was chewy (tired jaw halfway through), the oat bran made it oatmeal cookie-like. Later, I ate a tangerine Powerbar gel at miles 5 and 10. The breakfast and gels fueled me well. What do you eat before a marathon?

17 comments:

  1. I saw the pic before I could read the caption and I didn't know WHAT that was! A hoof? A dead something? A painted rock makes soooo much more sense!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know that that picture was either....I was tiling my head sideways and still wondering. Hahah. Glad it was just a rock ;). What do I eat before a marathon? A bowl of oatmeal with cinammon and peanut butter about an hour before and then a banana about a half hour before. Sometimes half a powerbar if there's a long wait before race and I ate too early. Happy Monday!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have toast and peanut butter. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers to 16 miles running in the rain:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 16 miles in the rain!!! that brought back memories for me since that's about how it was when i ran 16 miles last fall! wow. good for you. the rain seems to just fade away at some point and being wet doesn't matter. so glad the run went well for you! i can't wait to see pictures of your big sur run!

    have you tried larabar? they are yummy!!! very simple ingredients too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My eyes were playing tricks on me and I thought your picture was of a flat, brown frog. See, I am a grandma! I can't eat on the day of a marathon so I load up two nights before and drink Vitalyte and maybe a small cup of coffee on race day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love rainy runs as long as there is no wind. BTW, this is good training for Big Sur where weather can be so totally unpredictable. Hope you have super weather like we had last year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, Larabars taste good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh! I hoped I'd be able to insert my comments between each of yours, but I can't now.

    The mysterious rock picture turned out funny - seeing your guesses. And I didn't do it on purpose!

    Meg, it's interesting to see something different for a pre-marathon eating plan.

    Ewa, I'm wondering if you ran Big Sur last year or if you just mean that you live nearby.

    Oh, and I'm eating PB on toast right now before my run, but I like oatmeal (w/a banana and nuts), too. Good stuff!

    Thanks, everyone, for taking the time to leave a note for me! : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to run Big Sur. Maybe next year. A friend talked me into 21mile power walk that starts 5miles down the course. Yes, we were those annoying walkers blocking runners. I am not a fan of power walking and won't do it again but still the event was fun. Very well organized race and the course is just beautiful. One good thing about walking it is that it is easy to take pictures.
    I live in San Jose, so that is fairly close.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the way a run in the rain is something I dread until I get out there and then I could care less because I'm already wet! It doesn't matter anymore! What a great run and yes perfect training in case of rain race day! Hoping for clear skies for you! Long run days I always eat a bowl of oatmeal with peanut butter. Marathon day-oatmeal (no pb but only out of convenience) and usually some gatorade. Energy gels during the run. How many energy gels do you take during the marathon?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ewa, that 21 mile walk must have been gorgeous! How nice to live so close to such pretty places!

    Kirsten, exactly! I dreaded going out, but once I was there, it was no big deal. And I've run in the rain tons of times!

    So far, I usu. take a gel every 5 miles from mile 5-20 in a marathon for a total of 4 gels.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, one more thing about Big Sur that you may already know. There are long stretches of the road with a nasty camber, which is especially difficult toward the end. I don't know if one can train for that though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the warning about the road - not a marathon for a PR, but that's okay!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your attitude Tina! I think my 20 miler this weekend might be raining, I hope it is much fun as your run was!

    I normally eat some type of a powerbar or a few Nutrigrain bars before marathons. I will also eat toast and PB.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice run! I love that you had a great time in the rain. I would never leave the house if it was already raining, but whenever I'm out and it starts to rain, I always have a great time. I should just head out next time it's raining. Love the orange rock, too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great run in the rain - looks fun, but would be cold here! :) We don't run marathons, but would guess that no change in food/prep would be the best way to go - don't want to freak out the system on race day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting and for keeping it family friendly!