Big Sur Marathon Recap

We drove the marathon route backwards on Saturday. Every time we were driving downhill I dreaded it since that meant uphill during the race. But there wasn't any time pressure this time and that meant I was mostly excited and not nervous, except at the start line where I was nervous, as usual. Just look at the route. We ran through the forest...


...and, of course, there were the ocean views.


 After having a great time at the family reunion, we arrived at our cabin late Saturday night. I woke up in the middle of the night and saw that my cell phone with my alarm on it was dead! Did I miss the race?! I checked the clock. It was 3:42 AM. I was okay, but after that adrenaline rush, who could sleep? So I got ready very slowly for my 6AM departure - happy to have not missed the marathon.


The Big Sur marathon is just as beautiful as everyone says. The hills were steep and long enough to make me take short walk breaks a few times. At first, getting started running again after walking wasn't too hard, but towards the end, I had to tell myself just to at least start with some running baby-steps.


The 2 1/2 mile uphill section around miles 10-13 was tough! I changed my eating plan (Gu and then Gatorade in between Gu) to eating and drinking more than I'd planned because it was such a hard run. 

Bixby Bridge

My finishing time: 4:19:50!!! I ran the Houston marathon in January (12 weeks ago) in 4:05. I read somewhere to add 20 minutes for the hills and wind in Big Sur. We had them both - sometimes at the same time.


Right after the marathon, I snacked on a banana, a cookie, pineapple-orange juice (race hand-outs) and 1/2 a Powerbar (I had eaten 1 1/2 bars pre-race).

We ate at Nepenthe restaurant where I had a grilled chicken sandwich when I finally got hungry for a real meal around 4 PM. Warning: lots of stairs, but it's worth it for the view.

We're staying in a Big Sur cabin at Ripplewood Resort. It's an old place, but we like it - there are flowers everywhere and the #15 cabin we are in has a living room and kitchen, but no hair dryer. : ( I do believe my husband is starting the campfire for s'mores! Sounds good!


Comments

  1. That looks like a beautiful run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOOOO-HOOOOO I've been anxiously watching for a report from you so THANKS!!

    Congrats on a great race and finish! Glad you're having so much fun with your sweety = ))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Tina - you did it!!! You did AWESOME - great job - you should feel proud! Looks like you had beautiful weather and you survived the hills, extra yay! I find it hard to eat much right after a really hard effort - sounds like you do the same thing. Glad you had fun and enjoy the yummy s'mores!
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  4. CONGRATULATIONS!!!
    You killed those hills. So glad to hear you had a good time. I've lived in CA for 14 years now and cannot get enough of Big Sur.
    I will have to check Ripplewood Resort.
    Again. congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tina - CONGRATS! What a great race! You were tough on those hills and you don't even have that many hills to train on. Wow! Very impressive. The cabin sounds nice.
    Have Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woohoo, Tina, congratulations!!!! That's one very tough race (and I heard it was pretty warm today)- I think that's an amazing time, way to go!! (I'm so envious, I just LOVE that part of the country). Enjoy your victory!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! Sounds like you had a great time. And are having a lovely trip! Maybe I'll go do Big Sur someday--not sure about the marathon but I'd love to stay in a Big Sur cabin! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on a great marathon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! You did a great job! Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on a great marathon finish Tina!! You did fantastic:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tina, that time with those killer hills is just amazing! Congratulations on finishing your 7th Marathon!! Woo-hoo! I am so happy for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay Tina! Great job! It looks like it was a beautiful course!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations! The pics are beautiful as well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. CONGRATS!!!! What a beautiful marathon! Thanks for posting the pics of those amazing views. You ran an awesome race, sounds like a really challenging course that you sailed through. I was looking forward to your race story and have had limited computer access recently which is why I haven't been able to comment. But I didn't forget about your race weekend! Fantastic job out there!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats Tina!! It looks like a beautiful place to run (minus the hills). You posted an awesome time too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. congrats!! i have long been intrigued by big sur because i have always heard how beautiful it is. glad you had a good race and are enjoying your time out there!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a gorgeous course! And an amazing time - WTG!! Those hills are no joke. To negotiate the hills and wind Nd still do so well, very impressive!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't wait to run this race one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yeah, even though it was tough, it's worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi I just found your website! I cant wait to read more! I too am an recent empty nester. I Love this review. I was planning on doing it this year, but it looks like next year. Bummer!

    Can't wait to read the rest of your race review. You are going on my blog's I stalk like for sure!

    Hope over to my site and give me a hollar...www.1mileatatime.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt