Humid Run

A Rose at the Houston Museum of Natural Science 

12 miles with hills, but take it easy. That was today's plan. The "take it easy" part was because of a minor uncomfortable feeling here and there - nothing major. I saw my pace for the fourth mile and wondered what was wrong with me, but decided it was just the humidity. Sweat drips into your eyes and stings. Your legs feel heavy. Listening to music and singing along (silently!) helped. Thanks to the humidity, I did take it easy.

I ate watermelon Luna Moon energy chews (90 cents on sale at Target) at mile 6. Time to eat them: too long - as long as it takes me to run 1/3 mile. I started eating them before reaching a water fountain, got a quick drink, and finished eating them on the way to the next water fountain. My apologies to the people I ran beside. I hope I wasn't chomping too loudly. They're good, but chewy!


There's the shirt I wore today that gets me into the Happy Trails Lime Green Shirt Club! And there's what I ate before and during today's run, too. Just happened to have some extras for the pic. This is the shirt I'll probably wear at the Big Sur marathon, too. I'd been planning that even before I knew about the club! ; )

Pre-run: Cookies & Cream Powerbar bar (good)
The Run: 12 miles @ 9:31/mile ave. pace
Post-run: @ mile 10, to get my mind off the run, I planned a yogurt/granola/banana snack, but when I got home I was too hot to eat and drank good ol' chocolate milk instead

Comments

  1. My jaw hurts by the time I eat through one of those chomps, those things take way too long to consume, how long before they actually digest? I like your green shirt and way to go getting in to the trail green club!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not "in" that club...yet. I scoured my drawers, I mean my chest of drawers, and couldn't find a green shirt that was half as green as yours and theirs'. Gosh, at this rate, I'll never be a member :( .
    Great mileage today, WHEN ARE YOU TAPERING, girl?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking of the Luna chews, I forgot to write that they got stuck in my teeth and all around my jaws, too.

    I found that green shirt on a sale rack a few weeks ago. : )

    My 2 week taper starts this weekend! : ) : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugg, the humidity already! I have not tried the Luna Moons, but ate some Sharkies on my 20 miler. They were pretty good and not as hard to chew as Gu Chomps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to the club, Tina! To make it officially official, you might have to come up sometime for a trail run. We might have to send you a Happy Trails logo to attach to the shirt for Big Sur! LOL!!!! I guess this means no more pink for me??????? Have you ever tried the Honey Stinger bloks? They are really good and chew easily. Honey Stinger is a smaller CO company so their products may not be available everywhere. :-)
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't seen Sharkies or Stingers, but I'm fine with the gels, tho, only tried the chews 'cause they were cheap!

    Thanks for the club welcome! So far, it's been fun being in the Happy Trails Green Shirt Club! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Back to the Sharkies and Stingers... I'm glad you brought those up because having some other recommendations is a good thing in case I want a change or someone else wants to try some good chews to fuel their run. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ack, that humidity sure will do a number on you! And it has snuck up on us for sure! Yuck. Way to go on 12 miles though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice Job on the run! I'm only up to 9 miles and 12 still seems like a long ways away!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tried the sharkies recently and liked them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nothing like humidity to make it challenging! Great job. I love the chews but sometimes wonder if I would be better off the with a gel to avoid trying to choke them down before water stops. Definitely prefer the chews for taste :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is all making me sort of want to get back to running. you are so inspiring tina!
    good luck in the humidity.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your blog, Tina! I ran 12 miles last night, too. It was a warm, windy run with gusts up to 33 miles per hour. Looks like you're in great shape to run your marathon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the store recommendations! I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's amazing how much the heat & humidity work against you. I am NOT ready for it to return so fast. 9:31 pace is not bad at all. Smart to slow it down sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I lived and ran in Arkansas for 7 years and I know what HUMIDITY does to ya! Great run and pace in that stuff! GU chomps are good and not tough to chew, I'm usually a GU gel girl myself though. Doesn't it feel great to be in taper mode? Getting closer!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that lime green shirt! Had fun browsing through your blog. I was in Houston last October and couldn't get over all the runners I saw running through Memorial Park. I look forward to this October running through there! Maybe I'll see you! I will look for you in your lime green shirt! :O)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

50 Mile Race Coming Up