Traveling Tips


My Big Sur Marathon confirmation postcard arrived this week! I'm getting ready for the flight to California. I'm gathering travel sized toiletries and stocking up on Dramamine - the "less drowsy" formula so I'll be awake for the race expo on Friday. Do you have a favorite travel tip? My mother-in-law told me I could pack underwear in my pockets if I run out of room in my carry-on bag.  Maybe you have a better tip than that! ; )

I made muffins last night. This is old news if you follow me on Twitter, but here's a new picture. ; ) The Ellie Krieger Pumpkin muffin recipe is good the way it is, but the muffins were even better with dried cranberries and walnuts. Pictured are the plain ones. I like the way the muffin tops turned out on these - big, because I filled the muffin cups to the rims. I ate one with a banana before today's run. Yum!


After today's run I drank a chocolate cream Myoplex nutrition shake given to me as a local race freebie. Too bad it tastes like there's medicine in it. My husband likes Myoplex strawberry powder drink mix added to milk, though. I haven't tried that.

I ran 6 miles Monday, but that afternoon my shin was slightly uncomfortable so I took the day off on Tuesday. No worries, just being careful.

Today I ran 8 miles with five miles around 8:45/mi pace. No shin pain, but I had a slight pain on the bottom of my left foot at first. I ran through it, hoping it would pass. It did. Sometimes pains just go away and they're nothing. The middle miles were kind of hard, but not too bad. 

A couple of you have mentioned kicking your ankles when you run. I think of you every time I kick mine now!

Comments

  1. I roll all my clothes to make more fit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kick mine some too. Travel tip???? Bring something to read for when you get stuck??? I don't really have one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am soooo jealous of your Big Sur marathon. Let us know if it is worth it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl - those muffins are making my mouth water. I'm still wishing we were neighbors - a running partner and a friend who likes to bake. That would be SWEET!

    Be sure to pack the anti bacterial wipes (slight germaphobe here).

    ReplyDelete
  5. : )

    Speaking of that, I just picked up a tiny bottle of hand sanitizer perfect for carrying in my purse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. one of my first jobs as a teen was at a store called Benneton. my boss taught us how to fold clothes a certain way. and she was big on perfectionism. i still fold my clothes like that to this day. she taught us how to roll our clothes to these tiny things for packing. so hard to explain how but it works! i'm getting soo excited for you!

    are those pains called "phantom pains?"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great traveling advice from you and others! I also pack an extra track bag with an extra of everything to bring along to the race...I've had too many things go wrong and had to borrow something from strangers...shorts, socks, you name it!
    I'm excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy muffins. I love muffins. I was thinking they were bran muffins because they were so dark but that must be due to the molasses.

    Travel tips . . . last time I flew I had a hard time finding something good to eat (that didn't cost more than I wanted to spend) so I'd say bring along a muffin or two :).'

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh so exciting! I hope you have a great race! It ought to be gorgeous in Big Sur.

    I'll be thinking of you (with more than a little envy :)

    p.s. don't forget your phone charger!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

50 Mile Race Coming Up