Happy Trails!

I didn't run or ride on this Muir Woods trail yesterday, but I did make good use of Houston's Memorial Park trails.

First, I went on a long run. I ate banana bread and a banana before yesterday's long run. On the run, I drank or ate every two miles, alternating Gatorade and Gu gel with water, stopping to rest when I felt hot. I ran slower than I expected (10:30/mi ave), but I'm happy that I was able to finish the 16 mile run without feeling sick because of the heat.

Before I left for the run, I told my husband I would run 10 minute miles and added 5 minutes to that. When I was late getting back, he drove over to the park to see how I was doing and to offer me a ride. Big, sweet
temptation! I passed the test, though, and kept running. ; )


Then I rode my bike! My first trail rides were on Sunday and yesterday. (For you Memorial Park locals, we rode all of the green and some of the purple and blue trails.) I knew it would be fun, but it was even better than I imagined!

A few times, I had to get off my bike and walk - the hills are steep. Once, my husband teased, "Don't look down!" because of a deep ravine on the side of the trail. I didn't have time to look. My eyes were on the the roots bulging out of the trail that I was flying down!

Comments

  1. You are a trooper running in the heat!!!! 16 mile run.... one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like such a beautiful park to run in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a tricky ride! Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Trails, indeed!!! Great job on your run - am I right in assuming you have given up on the "no eating" before your runs thing? And yay on the mountain bike rides - you will have a blast. Extra bonus - mt bike rides will tone your arms nicely!
    :-)
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I'm eating before I run. (Although I might not always eat before short runs.) I might experiment with not eating when I don't have the heat to worry about.

    My arms were so tired after the first bike ride! And this is a fun way to tone them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you know I've been trying to figure out how to take a banana on my long runs, so far no luck..but it's like the perfect fuel for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe you could put banana slices in a baggy and carry that in a fuel belt or pocket? The banana would be squished, but then you could squeeze it out of the baggy like a gel - maybe. Thanks for the idea! I might try it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on getting through the heat...I don't know if I could manage in a hot and humid climate! 10:30 pace is great under the circumstances. When I go out for a long run (over 10 miles) I always allow an hour for every 5 miles, to compensate for bathroom stops, lights, etc., and so I don't get reported as a missing person if I am a little slower than expected! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like I'll have to start doing that, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow tina. you are already running 16 again. i am so inspired by you, SO SO inspired!
    LOVE your bike - it's smokin'!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's just what I was thinking yesterday when I was riding - love my bike! : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Running and biking! Wow I am inspired! It looks like we will be making the move to Houston so I am very interested in Memorial Park. Are the hilly parts you mentioned, for bikes only or can runners do them. I really do love hills (its crazy but i do!) and so hope to be able to keep training on them once we get there. With your fancy new bike are you thinking about starting triathlon or biathlon training?

    ReplyDelete
  13. The trails are open to runners, too, but I haven't tried them alone. No thoughts of a triathlon right now for me.

    Let me know if you have any questions about Houston. Hope your move goes smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So good to catch up w/you. For some reason your last few posts didn't come up on my reader.

    Your biking adventures looks like lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt