Beep, Beep!

Tough 18 mile run! I had to walk or rest on benches too many times today even though it was windy and cloudy. Houston Memorial Park advantages: water fountains, benches, some shade. Disadvantage: during long runs, the benches are tempting!

The first ten or so miles were okay, but at the 12 mile mark, the sun peeked out from behind the clouds and I thought, I am cooked! The end! I cannot run 6 miles in the sun! 

Then the clouds came back, but I was tired and sometimes there wasn't any wind and the air just sat there, kind of smothering you. (A little dramatic, but that's summer heat!) This is where the park benches came in handy. That's where I gave myself some pep talks. The first talk was such a good one that I took off too fast and had to sit on a bench again too soon after the first rest!

And then my Garmin did something new - new is not what you want your Garmin to do without your permission. It showed "lap error" and beeped every three seconds the rest of the way home - for two miles. Beep! Pause. Beep! I tried mode/reset - no help.

It was still adding up my mileage and showing my pace, but I was too lazy to turn the sound off. (Wait! Let's be kind and say that I just didn't want to stop running and figure out how to turn the sound off because I am a hardcore runner!) (Wait! But I did stop just to walk during those two miles so we can't say that! Too bad!)

Since I didn't want to annoy the other people on the path, I sped by them and made it home faster than I would have if I hadn't been beeping all the way. Once I uploaded my Garmin to my computer, my Garmin was fine - no more beeps.

Average pace today: 10:19/mile. 83 degrees. Fuel: Gu gels and Gatorade, not that this post is a great advertisement for those products!

Comments

  1. 18 miles @ 83 degrees is tough. You are hardcore. My longest run is 9 since Boston. Congrats to you for completing the task.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I was near the end of 18 miles I would not have the energy to figure out anything new with my Garmin! I would go with the annoying beep!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how you run 18 miles in the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WTG on the 18 miles! I would most likely stopped at the 12 miles mark... Hmmm... Maybe that's why I can't get my marathon time down lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome 18 miler!! Wonder what's the deal with the Garmin?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome job on the 18 miles. My Garmin has done the lap error twice during my tempo runs. Strange...but no beeping with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wouldn't last a mile in that heat/humidty so 18 is just plain incredible - you ROCK! At least the beep got you moving a little quicker, huh?? That's kinda funny, though I'm certain it wasn't at the time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been to Houston in the Summer and I KNOW exactly what you mean by the heat smothering you! And I have NEVER run there, though I might while I spend a few days in Houston in October... it's not as hot then, though. Right? RIGHT? Good for you!!! You are amazing! That is a LONG run and you ran it alone! Well. You and your garman who was pestering you.. saying, ... "let's go home! Enough is enough!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Way to go, Tina! 18 in the heat is tough. Well, 18 anytime is tough. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for all of the encouragement, everybody!!!

    Doodlegirl, visit Houston in the second half of October when it finally cooled down last year. I just checked my running journal and the first half of October was filled with these notes: Hot, Humid!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Way to tough it out in the heat and humidity! I lived in Little Rock, Arkansas for 7 years and somehow ran through every single hot, humid, sweaty summer. It just sucks the energy right out of you! I'm so NOT heat acclimated anymore, way to go runner, you rocked it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, great job on the hot 18-miler. This weather is tough!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay for 18 miles! You are such a trooper for running so far when it is so hot and humid!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt