Quinoa

I ate quinoa (sounds like KEEN-wha) nearly plain a couple of years ago and didn't like it. Then I ate a delicious quinoa vegetable salad at our recent family reunion and I liked it. Quinoa is healthy, gluten-free, versatile and cooks faster than brown rice.

...

For breakfast, you can mix together cooked and cold (or warm, if you like) quinoa, flax seeds, almonds, lots of strawberries, cinnamon, and milk.


For lunch, I've made a cold Quinoa Vegetable Salad. Of course, you really don't have to be specific about the other added in ingredients. Like making a salad, you just keep adding until it looks good. Here's what I added to the cooked quinoa shown in the photo: tomatoes, cucumbers, corn, carrots, salt, pepper, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, cilantro and mint. I also like adding in garbanzo beans.

I found it in the grocery store bulk bins and I store it (uncooked or cooked) in the refrigerator. If you have any favorite quinoa recipes, let me know!

Quinoa Cooking Directions

Rinse 1 cup quinoa. Combine quinoa and 2 cups water. Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes.

Comments

  1. yum, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had quinoa tonight too! My wife mixed it with roast peppers and fried onions to go along with our meat and corn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I googled some great salads with quinoa but I've never thought about adding mint. Yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought some quinoa and its sitting in my cupboard. Not sure what to do with it. I'm going to try your salad recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your blog template. Where did you download it from?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found the template. I saw them in Blogger the other day but didn't put two and two together. I love how you can have double columns of gadgets

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a copy cat...its your template. I'm still trying to figure out how to add tabs like you have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, that's funny! I didn't recognize it! I'm heading back over to see your page again...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the page information. It works and I'm busy working on it now. Eventually I'll stop procrastinating and get to my chores too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just bought quinoa for the 1st time last week and I love it! Thanks for the meal ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My mom made some delicious soup with it - chicken broth based with some shredded chicken (rotisserie, mmmm) and lots of okra and veggies. it was so good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've literally wanted to try quinoa for years but the times I looked for it, I couldn't find it. After reading your post I bought some and cooked it up with your suggestions of seasonings, tomatoes, and corn and it was DELICIOUS! Thanks! Can't wait to try the breakfast idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Trevor and Kate, thanks for giving me two other ideas for eating quinoa!

    Kirsten, I'm glad my post encouraged you to try quinoa!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt