10 Good Miles

I warmed up with 2 miles through my neighborhood, stopping to watch an  armadillo scurry through a yard. I find them interesting to watch, but Texas natives would probably compare this to stopping to watch a squirrel or a cat cross the street. ; )

Zoe's big, brown ears perked up when she saw the armadillo, but she stood quietly beside me - quite an improvement over our animal sightings when we moved to this neighborhood a year ago. She wasn't used to seeing squirrels here, there and everywhere and she used to pull hard on the leash, making me dread our going out. I think using a Gentle Leader collar (a halter collar) while running helped both of us.

I came home and ran on the treadmill - 6 hard miles (3 miles at marathon pace, 3 miles at 1/2 marathon pace) and 2 cool-down miles. Mentally, I broke the run down into one mile segments, telling myself that I could run hard for 1 more mile. Not until I finished did I think about the grand total - 10 miles. And when I was done, I felt great!

Pre-run: corn flakes
During: HEB grocery store Quench - tastes like Gatorade
Post-run: yogurt & strawberries
Splits: 10:23, 10:25, 8:45, 8:45, 8:45, 8:32, 8:32, 8:25, 9:34, 9:34/mile

Comments

  1. That's an impressive 10 miles! What was the temperature?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last 8 miles were inside - 79 degrees with the fan blowing - must have made it even cooler! ; ) Very pleasant!

    Outside, it was about 80 with a feels like temp of about 90. Not bad if you're only running 2 miles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome splits, that's a great run!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would stop and watch an armadillo in amazement. Deer, squirrels, rabbits all pretty normal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How neat to see an armadillo! Like AJH, I would be amazed! Hey, do you remember the brand of the Nutella imposter? We need to find it - have you ever tried a heaping tablespoon full of Nutella in the morning right before a run??? It works great for fuel - I need a squeeze bottle of it to carry on a long run! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ajh, I used to see deer when we lived in the Houston suburbs. One time, I stepped out the door and there was the deer just looking right back at me!

    Happy Trails, I'm sorry, I can't remember the name. I came home and googled for a bit and came up with nothing! When I go back to the store, I'll write it down.

    I read that Kroger grocery store carries a copy-cat Nutella that tastes like Nutella, though. Do you have Krogers there?

    I tried Nutella before the run, but there must be something wrong with me ; ) - too sweet so early in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great run Tina. You have me thinking about my treadmill so that I can get some great quality on my long runs. Hmmm???

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pralinutta! That's the name of the chocolate hazelnut spread I saw at the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt