20 Miles on Gu Brew

No toe cramps after today's run! That's just one of the reasons I liked the blueberry pomegranate Gu Brew I drank today with 245mg. of sodium, 20 mg. of potassium, 13 gm. of carbs in 8 ounces. It tastes like berry-favored water with very little sugar - 4 gm. per cup. I like the fact that it has less sugar than the Gatorade I often drink which has 13 gm. of sugar.

I've gotten used to a minor stomach ache on long, hot runs lately. My stomach felt fine today and on my last 11 mile run when I used lemon lime Gu Brew, too.

The run went better than I expected as far as how I felt, but I wasn't able to run negative splits like I'd hoped. I started out slowly, hoping I was saving my energy for the end, but I just couldn't pick up the pace like I wanted to. I think it's too hot.

We were driving by this church yesterday and stopped to take a picture of the great architecture. I think it's the prettiest building you'll see on the Houston marathon route. On second thought, on race day the fairly plain convention center will look pretty good, too - that's where the finish line will be!

Pre-run: banana bread
During run: 70 oz. of blueberry pomegranate Gu Brew plus more water
Post run: peach smoothie
Temperature: 80-84*, 88-93* heat index
Ave. Pace: 10:49/mi

Comments

  1. What a great run! I love the GU brews. They're great for long bike rides.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! It's always great when you find something that works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful church! I love pretty churches and cathedrals. I've never tried Gu Brew, though I like Gu gels. Glad you've found something that works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go Tina! I'm cheering you on all the way to the finish line.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will look for your Gu Brew and give it a try. I am kinda Hammer nutrition person as far Capsules and Gels. Yet, I am really dogging these days with the heat in Vegas. Actually dogs can do better than me and probably just insulted them. :)

    70 oz - wow for 20 miles. Although 32 oz of H2O supplemented by Hammer Endur cap. every 25 minutes is what I downed for 8 miles in 95-97 degrees heat. It was after 10Pm as well! When is Fall?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great run, Tina. I'd like to try some of that brew! Cool church house!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a beautiful church! But yes the building at the finish will be even better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What mile is the church at? I don't remember it, but I was working so hard....no telling how much I missed. Hope to go back someday to run that one again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The church is towards the end of the 18th mile on the right - kind of a tough point of any marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so ready for the marathon especially with that magic brew. This is a wonderful taste combination. Can't wait to increase my miles so I can try it, but not before. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great picture! I'll have to try the Gu Brew, sounds like it's working great for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. awesome! that's so good to know and hear how well it worked for you. i'll have to give it a try.

    you are going to set a PR at the houston marathon! i can just tell!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like the Gu Brew is working well for you - yay! The church is very pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome run! Good hydration tips, makes me want to try Gu Brew too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've tried Gu Brew once or twice but not on a really long run. I have one coming up this weekend and I think I'll try it. Glad your run went well!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

50 Mile Race Coming Up