First Crash & 13 Miles

Saturday, my bike ride started off with my first bike crash. My tire hit a root, sending me off the trail, banging my stomach into my handlebars and knocking the wind out of me. Once I caught my breath and checked out my scratches, my husband and I continued on slowly - the roots looked especially menacing and the hills looked steeper!

At home, my husband tried to cheer me up, something about how nice it is to have your first fall over with, but my stomach hurt and I was wondering if the fall was going to keep me from running. Sunday, I had pretty blue and purple bruises on my legs and arm, but my stomach felt surprisingly better and I ran 6 miles.

And that brings us to Monday, today - a 13 mile run. The temperature was 80-85 and, of course, it was humid. I drank Gatorade and Nuun every 1.5 - 2 miles and stopped to walk a few times and even sit or stretch without much guilt.

I did two miles of speedwork: 90 seconds fast and 90 seconds slow. And by fast, I only mean faster than my easy pace, with a good effort. The speedwork made those two miles go by quickly.

Later in the run, I was tired so I focused on my arms for a change. If I kept pumping my arms, I knew the rest of me would follow.

Tried a new food this week: South African Cara Cara oranges. I was surprised at the color - reddish. They taste like a regular orange to me, one of my favorite fruits lately.

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door," he used to say. "You step into the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Comments

  1. So sorry to hear about your fall. Hope you are feeling better today.

    Glad you were able to get back to running so soon after that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are mostly okay! Falls can be very scary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scary fall but seems you are one tough lady. For many of us (and I am not pointing fingers and hoping nobody sees me blushing) bike crash would be a perfect excuse for not running. :)
    Glad you are OK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes, falling is no good! I'm glad you weren't hurt (too much).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Be careful with those falls - carrying a little more speed biking than running!!! Glad you were able to get out for your runs after the crash. Enjoy your week and stay hydrated!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ow, ow, ow! Glad you are okay and were able to run!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

50 Mile Race Coming Up