Monday, August 30, 2010

12 Miles


What a great 12 mile run today! First, I ran 6 easy miles with my dog. The temp today was 80-84*, but it didn't feel as hot as usual to me. I finished 6, dropped my dog off for a much-deserved nap, refilled my fuel belt bottles with blueberry pomegranate Gu Brew and set off down the street towards the park again.

About 7 miles into the run, I was hot and turned on my shuffle to get my mind off the heat, but it was out of power. I guess that's good practice for running through little setbacks. And this little setback is one I've had to get through during a marathon once. I was disappointed, but I finished!

Today's goal was to run the second half faster than the first. I ran the first 6 miles at 10:19/mile and the last 6 miles at 10:02/mile. : ) It's kind of hard to speed up on hot days.

Saturday I tried something new - risotto with roasted chicken, sweet potatoes, pancetta, asparagus, Parmigiano-Reggiano and pine nuts at Brio Tuscan Grille, where my husband and I had never eaten before. I'd never had a dish like this before and had to come home and google it to see just what I'd eaten! I just hope they didn't put too much butter and cheese in it. I try to order healthy food, but what a delicious meal that was, even on Sunday - leftovers are great!

I ran 60 miles last week and this week is a cutback week. The only pain I had last week was minor and only lasted one day - chafing on my ankle from my shoe tongue after I wore short socks. On the day my ankle hurt, I folded the shoe tongue up under the laces so it didn't rub on my ankle. My ankle has since healed and all is well.

I leave you with this thought... One of Josh Cox's tweets reminded me of this... When you run, do you think, I have to run today? Or, I get to run today? Makes a difference!

14 comments:

  1. So true about the "I get to run today! attitude" Yesterday I ran by an older man sitting outside a hospice building, it made me appreciate being able to run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 60 miles! Git it girl - you are a rockstar!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo-hoo, I GET to run today!!! Mmmm, that dish you ordered sounds delicious - maybe you need to come up with your own homemade version???
    Glad you are liking the Blueberry-Pomegranate GU Brew.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work out there. I bet it's nice to have a reliable running buddy:) You're gonna rock Denver!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 60 miles - that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the kind words, everybody! It's been fun getting to run so much this week!

    Happy Trails, I would like to make risotto at home. I found lots of recipes online.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I could go back home after 7 miles and go out to run more. I am sure something that needed to be done right away would grab my attention and that would be the end of my run especially on a hot day.
    Great mileage and you have earned that dish for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good job on the negative splits and that is a great tweet. I think I often think I get to run today but not always.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always seem to finally "get used" to the temps when it's about to cool back off again. Great 12-miler! I think your negative splits were great - 17secs/mile add up quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 60 miles is great, girl!! You're running so well - yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice job running the second 6 faster than the first.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 60 miles??!!! That IS AWESOME! And pain free - what a blessing!
    I love that question by Cox - it puts it all in perspective. I'm getting in the habit as I start off my runs thanking God for the gift and ability to run.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow nice work...Ps I am new to your blog and I LOVE WEIMS!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great work! Cox does have some great quotes. Thanks for checking out the blog and enjoy the powerbar stuff!

    Run Happy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting and for keeping it swear-free!