16 Miles


 Only 6 weeks until the Denver marathon! Today's plan: run 5 easy miles (MP + 1 min), 5-7 hard miles at goal marathon pace (8:47-9:10/mi for a 3:50-4 hour finish) and then finish up with easy miles (any pace).

Before the run, I ate a banana nut Odwalla bar with ice water. Into my Spibelt I put my key, phone, gels (for  miles 4, 8 and 12) and pepper spray. I put another gel and a small cloth in my pocket, to wipe my sweaty face.


The first 10 miles were not too, too hard (I didn't meet my goal pace at mile 1, but I don't worry about warm-up pace), but by the time I got to the 6th hard mile (mile 11), I was only thinking: icing, icing, icing - anything over 5 hard miles was icing on the cake! Then came the hardest mile, the 7th hard mile (mile 12), which took all of the determination I could muster to finish... And a good song on my Ipod shuffle! 

My mile splits for the 7 MP miles: 9:08, 9:00, 8:53, 8:53, 8:47, 8:46, and 8:37. After the MP miles, I was exhausted. Average pace for the 16 miles: 9:37/mile.

Do you hear that? There's some mint cookie crunch ice cream calling my name!

Comments

  1. Ha, ha - yummy!! Maybe it's calling my name, too??
    Great job getting through those hard miles, that's totally going to pay off on race day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum to the ice cream! I have been having pumpkin products at Starbucks with my name on them. Literally once you order!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think mint cookie crunch ice cream is calling my name, too! Good job on pushing for those hard miles! On one hand I appreciate the pumpkin products at Starbucks that AJH is referring to, but on the other hand, NOT! - because it means winter is just around the corner - boo-hoo! BRRRRR! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only 6 more weeks!!! Great job on your 16 - makes me proud that I almost ran a Tina length run this weekend too - I mean I was not nearly that fast, but hey, 15 miles is 15 right! Excited to see if you meet your goal of a BQ!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I hear my ice cream calling your names, too! Wish I could share - there's plenty!

    Definitely, Sherry! 15 is 15!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a really great run!

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmmmm mint cookie crunch ice cream!!! i had just that sat. night after my 15 mile run. it was divine!
    wow, your miles and times just ROCK! i did not realize you were running the denver marathon. that's AWESOME!!! you are so well prepared already!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You earned that ice cream, girl! Don't you love how much stuff you can fit in a SPIbelt? Great job on the run!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kate! I hope I'm ready! 6 weeks sounds very short!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Middle Name Marie! Yes, I wore my spibelt during my last two marathons with so much and I hardly notice that I'm wearing it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lisa! I hope your IT band heals soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice run Tina. You continue to amaze.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job on the run! I think Cherry Garcia is usually what calls my name!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

50 Mile Race Coming Up