Taper Weight, Puffy Hands & 16 Mile Run


Happy 25th wedding anniversary to me and my husband!

I'm eating less since I'm running fewer miles, but I'm gaining weight! I know some weight gain is normal, but I expected it closer to race time. I've had puffy eyes and hands, too, so maybe I'm retaining water.

I ran 16 miles yesterday - a progression run where you start out easy and get faster. I pushed hard against the chilly wind to keep my pace up and when the wind died down, I felt like I was running downhill even though the path was flat. A fun run! Average pace: 9:07/mile with 10 marathon paced (9:10) or better miles.

It was a cool 60 degrees and I think I might have had too much water to drink because my hands were swollen during my run. Back in April on a cool day, the same thing happened. Yesterday I ate a gel every 3.5 to 4 miles. Back in April, I ate a gel every 5 to 6 miles so the gels don't seem to have much to do with the swelling.

Photo: The writing on the cake is kind of messy (looks like a cake blooper!), but white cake with raspberry layers sure does tastes good. I must be strong!

Comments

  1. Great job on the progression 16er, those are always tough!!! And I'm about ready to lick my computer screen at that chocolate raspberry cake - YUMMY!!! Oh how hungry I am right now. Enjoy your taper :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never count calories during taper week. It makes me too mental!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cake looks too yummy right now and it looks as if I am going to have to eat my pre gym workout PB&J a little earlier. Would rather the cake of yours though. YUM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary. Mine is later this week! I love this time of year in Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. forget the writing! dive in to that cake!!! so i'll gain weight during the taper huh? great!! go ahead and enjoy that cake - you have lots to celebrate and 25 years is the best part!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Anniversary. The cake looks sinful and any couple who makes it to 25 deserves a good cake.
    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Anniversary- that cake sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Anniversary! 25 years is amazing - here's to 25 more! May they be blessed years!

    ReplyDelete
  10. HAPPY HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Anniversary! 25 years is great! What is your secret?

    I love progression runs. Out of every type of run, they are my favorite. I cannot believe your marathon is next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Anniversary!! Enjoy the taper. 26.2 miles will burn off those extra calories =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy anniversary!
    Not too much longer for that taper!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Anniversary!!! 25 years is awesome and deserves some serious cake indulgence! Yum, yum, yum - that cake looks SO delicious. Can you believe your marathon is only about a week away???!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Anniversary- the cake looks fantastic! Thanks for all of the encouragement over on my blog. It helps to read about everyone else's adventures. Almost time for your race- I can't wait to read all about it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt