Runner's Safety Light

The goal: to be seen when I run on the road.

My husband spotted the NiteBeams light at the Denver marathon expo and we bought one. I wore it on my run after checking with my husband to see if I looked funny. "No", he said, "you look safe!" So off I went. The first thing I noticed was that a passing driver gave me plenty of space on the road even though it was dark and I had hopped off the road onto the grass, so I know that I was seen.

After half a mile, the strap slid down from my upper arm to just above my elbow. I tightened the strap to fit and it was comfortable. I tried the strap on my wrist and ankle, too, but the velcro enclosure covers more of the light if you make the strap tighter (and put it on a smaller body part) which defeats the purpose so I left it on my arm.

 I wish there was more velcro on the strap so that there was more room for adjustment and I'd also like the stretchy part of the strap to be shorter so that it doesn't cover the light as much when you tighten the strap, but overall, I like the light strap. You can easily change the light from a solid light to a flashing light or turn it off while running. Nitebeams also makes wrist straps and dog collars, too.

Run safely!

Comments

  1. What a cool idea! Too bad the velcro doesn't work right. Can you add your own velcro?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that was the first thing I thought of - sewing on more velcro, but I doubt I'll need to do that after all if I wear it on my arm just above my elbow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool and useful since days are getting shorter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it! Luckily, I don't have to run in the dark too often but this would be great for Ragnar!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so does it use a battery? pretty cool regardless. you kind of look like a super hero about to shoot a laser beam at a bad guy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, it uses a battery. A super hero?!!! Watch out, bad guys! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting! I hadn't seen those before. I'm currently carrying a cumbersome flashlight!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's really, really neat! And so bright :). I think I need one of those!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha, i agree with lindsay!
    i spent an hour to hour and a half or so at the expo. it wasn't enough time as i didn't get to see everything. (didn't want my father in law to get too bored!!) gonna google that light band!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I ordered a green one and an orange one! Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great! I'm glad it was helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those look bright - are they battery operated? It's that time of year when post-work runs are ALL in the dark... Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, the light is powered by CR-2032 batteries.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's pretty bright. I have a reflective vest but I don't think it's very bright at all. I'll look for those at the next RnR expo in January.

    That is pretty funny that people got to your site buy asking how much ice cream they can eat after running.

    P.S. Good job with the Denver marathon. If it is a certified course (which the big ones almost always are), then they have to measure it a number of times. However, I saw the post where the guy compared the Garmin to the USATF and it looks like it was truly long. Someone screwed up on the turnaround point. Plus your garmin/time for that "mile" shows it too. So you are running faster.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I looked at these lights recently and wondered how they would perform when running. Sounds like it could be better as far as staying on. Good to know.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the light! Checking the link.... Also, I love the "other posts you might like" thing. I need to figure out how to do that :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt