16 Mile Experiment



I tried three new things today. I only ate one gel, a Vanilla Gu at mile 9 rather than a gel every 4-5 miles. I never ran out of energy.

I drank less water than usual since it felt like 29* at the start. I've heard that you need to drink a lot in the winter, too, but I've tried that and it doesn't work well for me. I was glad that I wore shorts because it warmed up to the low 40's and was sunny - a beautiful morning.

I left my music at home and didn't even think about it on the run even though I was running on a 3 mile loop over and over again (a little boring). Somehow, the miles went by quickly and my coughing and nose-blowing didn't slow me down. I met my goal of averaging marathon pace plus 20 seconds overall. : )

After an ice bath (brrr!), I ate my first grilled carrot, zucchini and squash brick oven pizza ever. Colorful and surprisingly delicious!

Note added 12/8/12: I no longer take ice baths. I can't remember the last time I took one. I guess they weren't necessary after all. 

Comments

  1. I hope you get over your cold soon! I'm glad that it didn't seem to hinder you on your run!

    That pizza looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good run, and the pizza is a great reward! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. great run! I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job girl!! I run 20 miles with nothing but gatorade and am glad you found those articles to share! :)

    You are gonna do GREAT in that race!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on your run - 16 with a cold - WOW!
    That pizza looks amazing - YUM! I find that I don't drink or eat as much on winter runs - not sure why that is. I will definitely check out that article - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That pizza looks delicious! Yeah, I don't do a very good job of taking water when it is cold. I know that I should do better, but I just don't get thirsty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. finding gels are making me feel sick after 15 miles. yet i do find eating an apple or actual food that can be eaten on the run to be ok. very odd for me. never had this problem before.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I should experiment more, but I think I'm addicted to the carbs on my long runs. It's my go juice.

    It's really kind of frustrating. one day gels are a must do, and now, well now, who knows what to do??? CONFUSED!

    ReplyDelete
  9. La Historiadora de Moda & Croughwell, thanks, I feel better every day.

    Wendy, I've never tried a vegetable pizza before, but every once in a while I take a risk!

    ERG, well, then I'm glad I posted the links to those articles! And I hope you're right about the race!

    HappyTrails & That Pink Girl, I should link to the articles I've read about drinking according to thirst being a good thing. Not sweating like I do in the summertime probably has a lot to do with my drinking less now.

    Slomohusky, that's bad news about the gels making you sick. They're usually easier to carry than real food.

    Happy Feet 26.2, I thought skipping so many gels might mean I had to walk home, but figured that wouldn't be a big deal. It's funny how much running trends change - keeps it interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't drink much (anything?) when it is cold too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. mmmm, veggie pizza! looks delish!

    sounds like a great run! i love long runs now and then with no music. i seem to take in more of the outdoors that way.

    so glad you are feeling better :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good call on the gels. I think if you fuel appropriately before you can do with less gels. Plus, too many and they can easily upset your system.

    Nice job on running without any music! That's a tough one!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt