Monday, December 13, 2010

20 Miles in Shorts

Favorite Running Items
I warmed up with some oatmeal and headed out for my run wearing shorts even though it was 35* when I started. At the end of my run it was 48* and sunny. I feel a little guilty mentioning our nice weather when so many people are snowed in, but usually I'm complaining about the humidity so I need to balance that out!

After a two mile warm-up, I sped up. I focused on keeping each mile fast, rather than thinking about all of the miles I had left to run. When I slowed down, I had the energy to pick up the pace. Good run!

But it was hard, too. I hoped to make this a stopless run, but then begged myself for a stop - please, now! Telling myself I'm not a quitter worked - this time!

I ran 17 miles at 8:42/mile (goal was 8:47). Then I ran one cool-down mile. Total time: 2:57. Average pace for 20 miles: 8:53. Happiness!

I'm glad I carried my Camelbak and only stopped once to put my arm warmers in it. It was nice to get a drink just after running up the short hills and after eating my 4 gels. Thanks to K, I tightened my shoulder straps which eliminated that annoying swaying problem I had last time

 I skipped my post-run ice bath. I read that ice baths might not be a great idea and since I don't love ice baths anyway, I'm conducting an experiment. So if I can't walk tomorrow, I can blame it on my skipped ice bath or my increase in miles (60 miles last week) or not stretching enough or... So much for my science experiment!

12/14/10 Update: no problems today after skipping the ice bath. : )

20 comments:

  1. sounds like a great run

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you have nice running weather! We are all snowed in and I miss wearing shorts. Sounds like you had a great run :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome job, Tina! Your pace for the 17 miles was fantastic! I am feeling 'happiness' for you! Glad the tip on the Camelbak worked. I don't feel fully dressed without one of my Camelbaks. In regard to the ice baths - I know there is some controversy on whether or not they work - in our experience, they have never hurt. If I understand previous reading correctly, it helps increase circulation and reduces inflammation which aids the recovery process. We are believers (but not in the winter - brrrr - I wouldn't thaw until mid summer!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. K, I don't like winter ice baths either, but sometimes an ice bath after a long run on a hot day is pretty nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't find it right now but there also was a very interesting article about refueling after a run not being a good idea either.
    You are fast.
    I like the Camelbak. My Nathan is slowly dying and if I cannot get the same model I will look into Camelbaks for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ewa, thanks! That's a new one to me - not refueling after a long run. Since I like drinking chocolate milk after a long run, I think I'll stick with refueling for now. I only want to eliminate painful stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on such a great run!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now I'm totally confused. It's like one day coffee is good the next it's bad. The article was interesting and has me thinking. I am totally addicted to the quick recovery from my ice bath, now not sure what to do. Is this why I can't "finish" a marathon???? Urgh! Frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, it makes me think that maybe I should do what I like and skip the rest when it comes to running.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an excellent run!
    I only do ice baths in warmer weather, it's too brutal in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am going to have to look at your link on the ice baths as soon as I am done commenting. I take them any time I run 20+ or even after 16-18 if I have the time to do it...I started back when I first started running double digit runs (2 years ago), before I learned about rotating shoes often, and the 10% mileage increase rule. (hah!)

    Anyhow, sounds like another fantastic run and at a great pace. Really looking forwared to reading your race report. :) 4 gels? How do you like hat mint chocolate(?) ?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your favorite things! Great run. I've never had an ice bath but I wish I would have had one after Boston like my husband suggested. Instead I had a hot bath and paid big time for it! uggh!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think the mint chocolate Gu gels taste like mint chocolate frosting - very good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dipping pretzels in mint chocolate gu is pretty good...

    We southerners can rub in our warmer winters because the other 9 months of humidity suck! :)

    I took that article as a suggestion to find a balance - some long runs I take gu, some I don't. I definitely think you can become too reliant on things. I still think ice baths are good - just maybe way later in the day or even the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice run! Glad you feel good sans ice bath.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i just watched this today. i felt almost like a pro athlete knowing i do the ice baths!!

    http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5650955

    after i ran 12 last week, i just did a cold water bath for ten min. it's been so cold here that the water came out colder than how the ice bath would feel in the summer time!

    ReplyDelete
  17. speaking of GU... did you see that GU Roctane has a new flavor - cherry lime? Now that is one I know I would like to try!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You inspire me, Tina! I'm starting back to running tomorrow after a long hiatus. When will I learn that is hard to start from the beginning all over again?!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kate, I like the cherry part, but the lime part holds me back a little. I'd try one, though, of course. I wish they'd send out free gels like Clifbar did, but maybe they'll give them out at a future race expo like they did at the Denver Marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just came across your blog, and I love it! We run with many of the same favorite things!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting and for keeping it family friendly!