18 Mile Progression Run

Spring, Texas (north of Houston)
During the first two miles, I was cold and slow. It was 40 degrees - not really that cold, but it took 3 miles of running to warm up.

During the middle miles, I sped up and for the last miles, it felt good to speed up even more and that's how I ended up doing a progression run today (9:19/mi average).

I ate cereal bars before the run, drank water every three miles and ate a Gu gel at miles 6 and 12. I'm experimenting with less gels on my runs, not because I don't like gels, but maybe I don't really need as much as I usually eat.

I hopped in the ice cold bath water afterwards because although I skipped it a couple of weeks ago, I'm getting too close to the marathon (Jan.30) to experiment with skipping ice baths. I had some cocoa and after the first couple of minutes, it was bearable.

Afterwards, my husband and I went to our favorite Mexican restaurant, Lupe Tortilla. I'm usually not very hungry after a long run, but maybe because I ate less during my run, I was very hungry today. I think I'll be ready for peach cobbler and ice cream later!

I hardly feel like I ran 18 miles today - not nearly as sore as I was after my 16 miler last Monday which followed a sick week. Any run where I feel great during the last miles and afterwards, too, is a great run!

Have a great first week of 2011!

Comments

  1. You are certainly getting stronger. And I totally agree this is not the time to experiment with a new routine. I actually like ice baths as long as I have my hot tea nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great run Tina! I had a pretty tough time Saturday on my 10 miler. I was hoping for 11 but the wind was so strong and I was running against it most of the way. I knew by mile 5 I was going to have a tough day. Oh well good days and bad days. I have been wanting to try Lupe Tortilla since Mexican is our favorite. Great job on the 18 miler! You will be so ready to PR at Chevron Houston!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terri, if you end up going to Lupe Tortilla often, you should get one of their store cards because then you get points each time you make a purchase and eventually get a discount and you also get a free birthday appetizer. We especially like the free charro beans they bring to eat with your free chips while you wait for your meal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! forget how green the houston area is. been there a couple of times and through Spring. mmmm... peach cobbler. sounds like a very successful run! good luck with the rest of your training.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like an amazingly long distance to me right now! You have really been racking up the miles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job!!! Long runs always make you feel so good ... after they are over! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Curious - did you use gels and ice after the 16 miler, or was this the experimental run?

    ReplyDelete
  8. For the 16 miler that made me sore, I only ate a gel at mile 9 and I did take an ice bath, but it came after a week of sickness and not as much running that week as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  9. that's awesome tina! to hardly feel tired/sore after 18 miles - you have come so far! that's very inspiring to me! i read meb's book the past few days and he emphasized patience a lot when training for such things. i loved that reminder! and i see it paying off with you!! just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's great that you were able to run 18 and not be tired or sore afterwards! Sounds like you are ready for your upcoming marathon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

50 Mile Race Coming Up