Fun 5K Race Report


(There's a fun update at the end of my post!)

I ran in the Stride4Stroke 5K race at Rice University today. Before the race they had yogurt and fruit for us, but I'd already eaten yogurt with blueberries and a cereal bar at home.

Most of the races I've run have started at 7 or 7:30 so it was nice to not have to get up too early today. At 8, I drove to Rice. The 9AM race started a little late at 9:16, perhaps because it had rained earlier.  

It was a nice 63° but it looked like it would rain again so I was glad that I wore my hat until I started running into the wind. I used bobby pins to fasten my hat on, but I ran holding my head down so that my new hat wouldn't fly off and wished I hadn't worn it. I started thinking about wind resistance and how it could actually slow me down. Excuses, excuses!

I moved from the outside of a group of runners to the inside where it felt less windy, but then we thinned out and it was just me against the wind. Push, push! When I got home, I told my husband all about the entire race and when I finished he asked, "Could you tell me the part about the wind again?!" Apparently, it was a very wind-based recap.



I was focused, hardly seeing the buildings and tree-lined streets and only thinking that I needed to hold my head down, go fast and be smart at the turns. I ran 3.13 miles so at least I did okay with the tangents and my hat never blew off.

 I finished in 24:30. My 5K PR is 23:32 so I didn't PR today, but with the wind, it was a good, hard workout. When I stepped out of my car at home, my legs were sore. Racing is my favorite way to work on speed. Splits: 7:31, 7:49, 8:17, and 7:44 for the last 0.13.

After the race, you would have thought I was at a big marathon if you'd seen the post-race food: a burger (meat or vegie) or a chicken sandwich, potato salad, cole slaw, apples, oranges and bananas. I ate a banana, drank my chocolate milk from home and took a chicken sandwich home for later.

Now this is a surprise... I left before the results were up and the results just posted online. I was the first place finisher in my age group! I've gotten 3rd place twice, then 2nd place once and this is the first time I've ever been the 1st place finisher!

And my poor husband, now he gets to hear how exciting it is to get first place. I'll try to control myself, but at least this has got to be more interesting than wind. ; )

3/8/11 Update: I received my race prize - a trophy and baseball tickets were delivered to my door!

Comments

  1. Congratulations, what great news! Hopefully, your husband can give you 24 hours to bask in your first place! Celebrate with something yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So was it windy today? ;-)
    Big congrats. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the laugh, Ewa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah for the first place in your age group! That is awesome! It was supposed to be windy here but wasn't. Guess it was down your way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely windy here! Hope some of your snow has melted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First place! Tina that is AMAZING! Good for you girl - congratulations!!! Wind and all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks! I guess the wind tired me out. It's not even 9PM and I'm ready to go to sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! I LOVE that you finished first, but how much greater you would have felt hearing your name being called and run up to collect your ribbon. (Did they do that or is my imagination swerving all over the place?) I have yet to run a 5K, but what a great idea to make it a speed workout! With all that adrenalin and such. (I giggled quietly when you talked about all that food after the race). That's pretty darn cute, but when you think about it, today was a first experience for so many who are still probably gushing and beaming over their accomplishment. They probably ate and ate today and rested their legs and were pampered all day long for that 5k race! Fun post! (OH! and i like your new look on your post!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks! And you're right, I wish I'd stayed for the awards, but I was certain I didn't get 1st place (the only finishers who got awards) and I was chilly. Still, if I'd known, I would have stayed the extra 45 minutes or so and froze just for the fun of hearing my name called!

    ReplyDelete
  10. major clapping for first place tina!!! yay!!! you held on to your new hat AND won first place! woohoo!

    that wind can be something else! it's been so windy here - even today we have another wind advisory and the real feel is 21 so i am choosing to chill on the couch!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats Tina! 1st place woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1st place age group? CONGRATULATIONS! Love the pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on your win!

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW!! Way to go! You are so speedy! Sorry about the wind... I hate when it is really windy. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tina! Great job! I love that they had all that food afterwards too!
    First in AG is awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Woo-hoo for first place!!! Next time you will HAVE to bring dry clothes in expectation of a top finish! Wow - the post race food sounded wonderful! (I like food! But not wind!) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. CONGRATS your first place WIN! So great! And on a windy day and everything! I hate the hat problem when running in the wind, I felt your struggle when I read that! I love it when races make a big deal and feel like a party at the finish or have amazing food-makes it so much fun! I've missed lots of your posts! And I think even a marathon story! So congrats and hopefully I can get back to this blog world more regularly! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt