Good Tempo Run

How do you run a good tempo run? You run when it's cool! 60° worked for me! (Someone asked me if I was cold out there! I wasn't cold, but it was about 15° cooler than usual.) Also, since I didn't run the day before, I was ready for a hard workout.

After a 2 mile warm-up, my goal was to run 6 miles at an 8:23/mile average (my 10K pace + 30 seconds) or less. Midway through, my mind started to wander which slowed me down - I needed to focus to keep the pace. Realizing that I only had part of one more lap around the park to go helped, too.

This run was faster (8:20/mile average), but easier for me, than last week's similar treadmill workout (1 x 2 mi. & 4 x 1 mi.). If only every day was like that! After 6 tempo miles, I ran 2 easy miles to finish my 10 mile run and then I walked for a few minutes.

I ate 3 mountain berry Clif Shot Bloks at mile 4. They tasted good, like gummy bear candy. I cut the packages in half. That makes them easier to carry in my pocket. I recently won 8 packages of Clif Shot Bloks including some new-to-me flavors! Thanks to Clif Bar and RunningWithCharlene for the goodies!

Comments

  1. Wonderful job on your tempo run - you refocused and went after it! Mmmm, you are right - those little bloks are yummy - it's a nice texture to have after gels. Hey, I'm not sure if we've missed this or not - but have you guys been riding your mountain bikes??? Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to get used to the cliff shots (or any kind of shots like that). I tried the strawberry one but wasn't sold on it. I'll likely need one for my longer run (yet) this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HappyTrails, I want to ride my bike more! My last ride was when I rode through the neighborhood, hoping to chase down the mailman who had my new Nook! Wrote about it a little on my other blog, GottaReadNow.

    trailrunningchick, hope you find some you like, but there doesn't seem like a huge difference in taste with any of those berry bloks. Have a great long run!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice - lucky you! I love clif shot bloks. Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. so were the blocks easy to chew and swallow say like the gu chomps? interested in trying some... bought a couple clif gels yesterday to try. had a gu today and it was just awful again. frustrated!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen, yeah, fun win! : )

    Kate, sorry you've had a hard time swallowing the gels lately. I think the Clif Bloks and Gu Chomps are similar when it comes to chewing them. Bloks are a little larger, so if that bothers you, you can cut them in half before you run.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like those bloks too. Fun winning a bunch of them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tempo run Tina! I was working on tempo my last run but I have a long way to go to be able to hold the pace for more than a mile before I need to back off again. I'm not a fan of the chews because I find it hard to chew and breath at the same time:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Terri, I know what you mean! I ate them when I stopped for a water break. Problem solved!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are you kidding me? I would KILL for 60 degrees! I ran 11.5 this morning, and it was a whopping 23 degrees outside. Darn Utah! I'm ready for spring. I need to start doing better workouts- I usually just get out there and run. Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brrr... 23° is too cold! Still, I'd rather run in Utah - it's beautiful! We vacationed in Utah a few years ago (Bryce and Zion national parks).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice job on the tempo run! I've got to try those shot blocks sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love a good tempo run, especially in weather like that!! My run today was 55 and sunny - so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW! I am so impressed. Love determination and your mental attitude.. staying focused as best as you do. And i love knowing that the Berry shot blok tastes good. I will try them the next time I make a purchase. Wishing you another great run!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt