Run for Change 5K Race Report

It's a good thing I didn't have a chance to read that caution sign as I headed onto the bike trail during today's Run for Change Radio Run 5K! We started and ended on the flat park path, but mid-race, we ran through the woods. I was flying up and down short hills and around corners on the singletrack bike trail for 1.2 miles. Fun!

Brindley Bike Trail
We were warned about one fork in the trail, but I still took a wrong turn there and had to back track. That's the first time I've ever done that!  Later, I got lost and stopped to ask for directions. I'm used to larger races where you mindlessly follow the runners ahead of you! It worked out alright - I picked up the pace in the third mile. I'll have to check, but it might be the first time I've done that, too!

A Little Hill
It was a very small race and I was the 1st place finisher in my age group (40 years+)! Finish time: 24:44. Mile splits: 7:48, 8:50, 8:04. Average pace: 8:14/mi.

The Brazos River
Before the bike trail was created in the woods, we lived near Sugar Land Memorial Park (30 minutes from Houston) where the race took place. I've seen a lot of wild animals there: a wild hog, a coyote, lots of snakes - even a python! Here's my Python post.

Update: 130 runners and walkers registered. $6,200 was raised through race entries and donations to purchase 310 radios for the Sudanese.

Comments

  1. Congrats on the age group win - with a good time.Now I've got to go read your python post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1st place, wow! Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are one fast trail runner. Wow!
    Congrats on your placing.

    Python at the park? Now that is something. We only get rattlers here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. woo-hoo tina!!! it was a gREAT day! congrats!
    that time is excellent for even backtracking. :) ok i'm totally intrigued by the python post... gonna go read it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like so much fun!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you go the wrong way 2 times and still come in 1st and have a great finishing time! Way to go! Looks like a really fun race and I love the sign. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

50 Mile Race Coming Up

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week