Whole Wheat Bread


After I made bread last week, I was anxious to see if I could make a better loaf - kind of like running marathons! This recipe makes a light and airy loaf. I didn't add nuts and seeds this time, but they were delicious in last week's bread. This recipe's a keeper - one for my recipe page

Ingredients:
1 cup warm water (110°F)
1 package active dry yeast
3 tablespoons honey, divided
1-2/3 cups white bread flour
4 tablespoons gluten, divided
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
1/2 cup sunflower seeds, optional
Directions:

1.In a large bowl, mix warm water, yeast, and 1-1/2 tablespoons honey. Add white bread flour and 2 tablespoons gluten. Stir to combine. Let sit for 30 minutes.

2.Mix in butter, 1-1/2 tablespoons honey, salt, nuts and seeds. Stir in 2 cups whole wheat flour and 2 tablespoons gluten, gradually. Knead about 10 minutes in the bowl. Spray bowl to keep dough from sticking and turn once to coat the surface of the dough. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place until doubled: 45 minutes today, but if I'd had more time, I'd try 1 hour.

3.Punch down. Place in greased 9 x 5 inch loaf pans, and allow to rise until dough has topped the pans by one inch: 45 minutes today.

4.Bake at 350°F for 25 to 30 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack. Or slice with an electric knife and eat it warm like I did!

Thanks to Allrecipes for the original recipe. I'm fairly new to bread making and there's a lot to learn. Suggestions are welcome. Happy baking!

Comments

  1. I tried this bread recipe and it works great http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html
    nothing simpler

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the link Ewa! Looks like a good recipe to try if you start the day before you need your bread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. cool! this will be my 4th "tina" recipe! :)
    light and airy - mmmm, i love the sound of that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bread looks great! I have a bread maker that I mostly use to make pizza crust. I will have to try and be more adventurous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love bread and this recipe is my new absolute favorite and it's 100% whole wheat and fluffy with simple ingredients. I've rencently started addeing some spelt flour to it too and it works great. http://www.progressivepioneer.com/progressive-pioneer/2010/03/no-fail-whole-wheat-bread-its-not-dense.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

50 Mile Race Coming Up