Longest Training Run!


Today I ran 23 miles! I hadn't planned on running so far, but I felt great, my pace was looking good in the later miles and I knew we probably wouldn't have great weather much longer (65° when I began) so I wanted to take advantage of it.

I ate 4 vanilla Gu gels and took a salt tablet every hour to keep away the stomach cramps. I ran on the 3 mile loop at Houston's Memorial Park and on the side path beside that main path when I could because I like to run on the soft pine needles. The hardest miles were the first 3, but I just needed to warm-up. It was a great run until...

.... the 22.3 mile mark when I went splat on the gravel/dirt path! As I fell, I remembered not to only fall on my knee. My head, hands, right shoulder and right knee hit the ground first. Spreading out the misery is good for your running knees, but hitting my head wasn't really in the plan!

I stood up, dusted myself off and leaned on a tree a minute. I had gravel in my hair and a bloody shoulder and knee. Really, the only bad part was my stinging knee, but even with that, I was able to run the .7 mile home, knowing that the sooner I made it home, the sooner I could wash the gravel off of my knee.

This was my third running fall. My first was on an uneven sidewalk and the second one was on the same park path when I tripped on a rock. Maybe that's what I did today.

Before today, my longest training run was 22 miles. Because the weather was so nice, I was able to run at a 9:09/mile average just like I did during my 22 mile run last December. Great 23 mile run today - except for the "flying though the air and hitting the ground" part. I'll try to leave that part out next time!

Comments

  1. Wow, 23 miles! I'm sorry about you falling :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME RUN!!! Great long runs like that leave you with such a high ... almost like a marathon. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great run! Although the part about the gravel made me laugh a little, been there! Thanks for stopping by and visiting my blog! Oh yeah and I couldn't help it I'm your 100th follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Thanks for being my 100th follower, Christy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 23 Miles, you're amazing!! I hope the excitement from the distance made you feel better post-fall. Are you okay?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome training run! I'm impressed! I'm sorry to read about the fall, though. I hope your knee and shoulder heal quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woo-hoo for 23 miles!!! Your photo showed a very lovely day. Uh-oh on the boo-boo. That happens now and again - thankfully you didn't bonk your head too hard and only ended up with scraped up parts. Heal quickly! You didn't mention what your delicious, celebratory post-run meal was???
    Have a great week! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yeah, running 23 miles makes you feel pretty good! My knee stings a little, but that's all!

    And the post-run meal? A Five Guys hamburger!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the inspiration! It is great hearing about others long runs to keep the juices flowing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Omgosh, 23 miles? TWENTY THREE? How many did you set out to do? That is just awesome girl.

    I am sorry you feel. Bless your heart. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ouch! Hope you are okay. I seemed to have a spell of falling. I fell during my last marathon. I think I felt more stupid than hurt. 23 miles is very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry that you fell down but it sounds like you are okay. 23 miles is awesome and you are so speedy! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i'm sorry to hear about your spill. I've been off reading blogs in awhile and over the past few days have enjoyed reading about your time in Kona!! I know exactly where this 3 mile loop is in Houston and have ran on this exact spot. But I'm VERY IMPRESSED by your 23 mile run! You run this all alone and I'm so proud of you! (do you run with music?) I'm kinda thinking you don't. Anyway.. wishing you the best... always.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Doodlegirl, I still have a red mark on my knee from this all, but now I can run in the place where I fell and not even worry about falling. This probably isn't so good, though - I need to look out for those rocks!

    I haven't run with music in a long time. I wanted to be sure that I could run a marathon without music, since sometimes it's not allowed, so I stopped running with it in most of my training. I ran the Kona marathon without it - no problems.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt