21 Mile Run

Fuel for the Run: Before & During

I ran 21 miles today. It was supposed to be a progression run. But it wasn't. My run looked like this: slow, faster, slowest. That's probably because the temperature looked like this: hot, hotter, hottest!

In the 16th mile, I had an "I must stop running now" moment. I had just raced up a hill, feeling great and then it hit me - stop, now! And racing up the hill didn't seem so smart anymore.

I walked over to a tree and stretched, sorry that I'd quit and then sorry that I was so hard on myself for quitting when I heard someone ask, "Are you alright?"

I told her I was fine, that I just needed to rest. She told me that there was water up ahead. I was grateful that she stopped to check on me, not because I was about to faint (I wasn't), but because it was such a nice thing to do.

After that first stop, I took walk breaks and I stopped at the water fountains often, too. I thought, 10:00 is the new 9:30 pace - at least when it's hot. My new goal was to finish the planned miles at any pace and that's what I did.

I was hoping to start easy and pick up the pace in the Kona marathon (like I was hoping to do today), but when it's hot, that's hard. Maybe I'll plan on positive splits, keeping up a good pace until the heat slows me down. We'll see.

Temperature: 80-95°
Average pace: 10:12/mile
Salt tablets: 5 (every 3-6 miles)
Gels: 4 (I took these on a schedule like the Kona marathon water stops)

Comments

  1. so awesome!

    GREAT job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, 21 in this HEAT! good job tina! way to get it done no matter what! what will the temps be like for the kona marathon?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it will be hot and humid so this is good preparation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness! 21 miles in that kind of heat! Ouch.
    I am glad you were ok and able to finish. You are right - it probably is good prep for Kona. It may even feel a little 'cooler' in Kona than what you have had at home lately!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, good point - hopefully, it really will be cooler than it was today in the later miles!

    ReplyDelete
  6. GREAT RUN! In the past year I've started using the PowerBar products pre long run too. Seems to help.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds tough. I think you did an awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very impressive. I cannot imagine running long in such heat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the run. I have a hard time when it's that hot too...it's just tough to keep pushing through when the heat seems to suck all the energy out of you! But you finished, which will just make you stronger. Hopefully the weather at Kona will feel a little cooler!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is just toooo warm for me. I melt at 70.
    You are doing great prep for a marathon in the tropics!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Tina, thanks for stopping by my blog.
    Wow, that is a lot of mileage, especially in the heat! You are one tough lady :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice job -- it is HARD to run in this kind of heat (we're hitting the 90s up here, too). Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're getting close! So excited for you!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt