Kona Marathon Race Recap Part 1


I was out the door by 4:30am and at the starting area within only a few minutes waiting for the 5:30 start. The start was only 3 miles down the street from our hotel which was on the race course. If you reserve a room earlier than I did, you can stay at the host hotel at the start/finish area.

There were only 305 marathon participants - the smallest marathon I've ever run. I never had to swerve around people because there was plenty of room. We had one lane blocked off for runners or ran on a wide shoulder and that worked out fine. There were people at corners and the turn-around to direct us. There were many encouraging volunteers and spectators.

We drove the route beforehand and when I saw the energy plant in the far distance during the race, I knew that was where we would turn off the road we were running up and be almost to the half-way point. That was a big pick-me-up as I ran up the long hill before the turn.

I loved that they had ice at the water stops. From mile 14 on, I took cups of ice and stuffed my mouth and both hands with it. 

I liked the out and back course. I was able to see so many runners and we encouraged each other. At the halfway point, I told myself that all I had to do was run back to the start - it felt shorter that way. Also, I knew what was coming up after the halfway mark, even more so than from driving the course the day before.

At mile 22, my husband gave me a small throw away bottle of ice water. I heard a group of people who saw him run to give me the water let out a collective, "Aw", meaning "How sweet"!


video


There were a number of hills on the course, but most of them weren't very steep. I ran up all of them!  I had done hillwork on the treadmill and a short bridge back at home. In the last couple of miles, seeing the runners ahead of me climbing the hills without stopping was encouraging. 


video

I kept an eye on the temperature before the race. At 4:45AM, it was about 80° with 62% humidity and the heat index was 76° so I ran under the water misters set up on the course. In Houston, the humidity has been in the high 80's so I could barely feel the humidity at the start even though I heard other runners complaining about it. This made me glad (for the moment!) that I train in humid Houston.

To be continued at Kona Marathon Race Recap Part 2.
Here's my quick update posted just after finishing the Kona marathon.

Comments

  1. Now see, there IS a bright siide to living I the heat and humidity of Houston - Hawaii has nothing on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow...No way I would have predicted Kona less humid than Houston! Ha!! Well, you just got a nice day :)) didn't you?!

    Love the video with Hubby bringing your water. That is a dedicated fan!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt