20 Miles on My Treadmill!


Today's goal: run 20 miles on my treadmill with a fast finish. This might be the longest treadmill run I've ever completed.

Stopping for a drink or gel at the same locations as the Maine marathon water stops gave me something to look forward to. Listening to music helped, too. I counted my steps. I was running at 180 steps a minute - some say that's a good thing. Some say it doesn't matter! By the 14th mile, I was getting excited - I was going to finish!

20 Mile Run! (Calories?! Must have passed the 999 mark!)

Mile 1: Ran 5-6mph. 1% incline for the workout. (Warming up.)
Mile 2-13: 9:34/mile pace. 6.2mph (Nice and easy. Could talk.)
Mile 14: 9:17/mi pace. 6.4mph (Speeding up felt fine.)
Mile 15-18: (How about a little faster?) 9:01/mi pace. 6.6mph
Mile 19-20: (Now, go!) 8:45/mi pace w/last 1/4 mile at 8:32/mi pace. 6.8-7mph

Running 20 miles on the treadmill wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. It was a little boring and in the early miles I wondered if I could finish, but I felt pretty good during the run, much better than I would if I'd tried this outside today.

Pre-run: Powerbar Performance Apple Crisp bar, 1/2 banana, Gatorade, water 
During: Powerbar green apple gel at mile 9.7 (with water) and 4 oz. Gatorade at other stops which were about 2 miles apart
Post-run: Cherry Smoothie (cherries, milk, yogurt)


Wednesday I ran 9 miles on the treadmill and ate watermelon Gu Chomps. They're good, but cut a slit in the package if you take them on a sweaty run. I ran 1/2 mile intervals at 5% and 8% incline with a 2% incline rest in between the steep hills - preparing for the few hills I've heard about on the Maine marathon route.

The Marathon Long Run by Scott McMillan
Marathon Week Countdown - Creating a Fueling Plan by Jackie Dikos

Happy running!

Comments

  1. i cannot even begin to imagine 20 on a treadmill!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, tina - that is awesome! 20 miles AND on a treadmill!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, just WOW!! What a great workout! I never would have thought to train that way with a treadmill - making it simulate hills that you know will be on course. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! you are awesome. Don't think I could do 20 on the treadmill. Never know though...

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! I've never even attempted a 20 miler on the mill. I think 8 miles is my longest.

    I didn't know you were running in Maine this fall. I will be too, but I will be running MDI Oct. 16th. Wish we had picked the same one, that would have been FUN.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Great job!! The longest I've ran on the treadmill is 12 miles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job on the 20, especially via treadmill! My hubby had to do a 20+ run once because of a terrible blizzard (he was training for Boston that year). I think that's the run that killed our treadmill :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Running 20mi wasn't as hard??? You must be a superwoman. My treadmill record is 12 and I thought my mind was going to explode. :(
    Good, good job!!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bow down to your treadmill willpower. And great job on the fast finish, too. My attempt at a fast finish 18 miler last weekend was a FAIL. I have to do 15 mile one next weekend. I'll try to channel some of your mojo. When is your marathon?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, all!

    Terzah, the Maine marathon is Oct.2. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's incredible...I did 18 miles once and it was torture!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW!!!! Congratulations! YOU ARE SIMPLY AMAZING! I am in awe that you ran 20 miles on the treadmill. I have never managed more than 4!

    Way to go! Your smoothie looks delicious, by the way!

    Enjoy the rest of your weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! You are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You continue to impress me with your dedication!

    ReplyDelete
  15. tina!! i am a little behind on blogs so i need to catch up - wow, r u signed up for the MCM too?? i LOVED it - the sites of dc. it is def. hilly the first 8 miles but once out of g'town it's all relatively flat. wow, 20 miles on the treadmill... i can't imagine!!!! my hats off to you!! sounds like a terrific run!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks again, all, but the treadmill really did seem easier than braving the heat. If you lived here, you'd probably do the same thing.

    Kate, I hope to get the chance to run in the MCM in DC someday, but my next marathon is in Portland, Maine - a fun vacation!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt