Beat by the Heat

New Water Fountain 

I was all set for a 20 mile run today: 15 outside and 5 on the treadmill if it was too hot outside. The first few miles of my run were fun. I saw an armadillo, rabbits and a cardinal. My husband waved to me from across the street where he was running over on the loop. I was running on the outer trail where they put in a new water fountain: a good addition. 

Just after the 9 mile mark, I was hot and had to stop in the shade. I saw my husband and walked the mile home with him thinking I'd run on my treadmill once I got home because I felt better already.

Close to home, I felt light-headed and sick to my stomach, though. I haven't felt bad like that since finishing the warm Kona Marathon. My husband carried my fuel belt - it felt so heavy for me then. I went inside and put my head down. Soon, I felt better.

I don't feel too bad about not getting my 20 miles done. At least I got in 9 and I'm glad that my husband happened to be there, too. I hope to get my 20 miles done later this week - on the treadmill probably. That might be kind of tough, but better than running in the heat. 

 Pre-run: peanut butter Performance Energy Powerbar
During: boysenberry pomegranate Gu Brew, raspberry cream Powerbar gel (great taste), both high in sodium 
Temperature: 80-84, heat index of 85-93°
Splits: 10:02, 9:43, 9:44, 9:33, 9:09, 9:33, 10:12 (not feeling so good), 10:27, 10:13, and .24mi @ 10:26
Pace: 9:52/mi average
Miles: 9.24 
Location: Houston's Memorial Park

Comments

  1. That's how I felt during/after my long run in Cleveland the other week. Good for you for getting out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you that you knew enough to stop. So many runners ignore the feeling, keep going in hopes that all the sickness will pass. It's too dangerous to mess around in that kind of heat.

    I'm so far ahead of my marathon schedule but I just love the feeling of accomplishing that long run. It's the love-hate relationship with it.
    As for the treadmill, I agree with you. I don't think it's overly torturous. I'd rather run outside but given where we live, the t/m is mandatory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to readjust a long run recently due to an achilles strain. I think knowing when to readjust takes as much if not more skill than the actual running part of the training! Hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you listened to your body and loved that your husband was there for you.

    Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aren't those Raspberry Cream Power Gels yummy??? So creamy good - almost like eating candy. I feel for you folks having to deal with the heat and humidity daily. You athletes show true determination and tenacity. Good thing your hubby was close by to make sure you made it home safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you were safe and not crazy in that heat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have yet to see an armadillo on a run! Ha! plenty of skunks though....

    Glad you are OK after that- sometimes calling it quits is for the best. Live to run another day :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt